1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOV Magnets?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by airpolgas, Dec 1, 2005.

1. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

I will be getting my 06 Prius next week. Will the locations of the HOV stickers handle magnets?

I chose the black color and am planning on taking out the emblems as soon as I get it, and I really consider the HOV stickers as an eyesore. Since I seldom use the freeway on my daily commute, I was thinking of applying the sticker on a flexible magnet, like those we put on our fridge, and then stick it to the car on those times that I would need to access an HOV lane.

Good idea? Bad Idea? Stupid Idea? Can't be done?

2. huh

huh New Member

Some folks have tried. I don't remember the link, but the problem is that the bumpers aren't metallic. Someone mentioned that gluing a metalic plate on the inside bumper might work though...

Keep posting if you find some other alternatives. ;)

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Is it required that the HOV stickers be placed on the bumper? If not, try static cling. You could adhere the sticker to the cling and apply it to the inside of your windows.

4. Kendall

Kendall Junior Member

I applied the side stickers to magnets and I place them just above the rear plastic bumper on the metal part of the car. I also have a black Prius and the yellow stickers on the side of the car don't compliment the car. I haven't had any problems with the magnets at freeway speeds and I just remove the magnets when I get to my destination.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The stickers must be permanently affixed to the car in specified locations.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I remember a post here where someone did that and they got pulled over and cited as well. I dont blame anyone, I wouldnt want those things on my car either but it sure isn't worth a ticket...

7. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

I have a Camry right now, and I kinda figured the bumper is not metallic on the Prius as well. I still don't see why they need those stickers to begin with, except probably with the Honda Civic Hybrid. Any cop can tell the difference between a 2nd Gen Prius and a Honda Insight to other vehicles on the road. It should be an automatic free pass. Heck, they can probably figure out if it was a prius or an insight before they even notice that there's only one driver onboard.

Then again, that would be too simple.

8. sofsof

sofsof New Member

There is no "automatic free pass." The state law allows up to 75,000 permits to be issued.