1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOV sticker MIA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigj3347, Jun 6, 2006.

1. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, so i just noticed this today as I got out of my car to get some dinner. My driver side rear sticker is gone! I looked closely and there were some dried mud splashes around that panel because I drove through a wet patch where the sprinklers were spraying water all over the road, Funny thing is the mud splashes were cut off at where the sticker was supposed to be, all that I have left now is the a bunch of sticky "void"'s in the shape of the HOV sticker stuck on my car. What happened to my sticker? Did someone steal it? or did it just fall off" There weren't any scratch marks that would indicate someone tried to peel it off, it just one clean cut, leaving just the void. Any ideas? has this happened to anyone?

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    do not know for sure, but I'd say it looks like the sticker was forcefully removed. Probably not stolen (of course, some people may think they can pass it off on their gas-guzzling SUV), more likely someone "expressing their opinion." I don't know if they can assess a Criminal Damage to Property (CDP) loss value on that or not.

Of course, in Kansas we don't have HOV stickers or for that matter HOV lanes.

3. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For what it's worh, I saw a highlander hybrid with the HOV stickers on them the other day. It was just on the street though and not on the freeway. I'm not torn as to what I should do. I'm thinking I should remove the sticker residue along with the void words but what's the best way to do this without harming the paint? Secondly, I still have my other three stickers, is there any way to apply to the DMV for one replacement sticker? I don't want to, nor do I think I can apply for a whole other set. That would be rather selfish to deprive someone else of a set of stickers. Should I just remove the residue, and drive, if i get pulled over, explain to the police officer what happened? Will that work? The good thing is that its the left rear sticker that fell off, so unless a cop was in the left shoulder, he wouldn't see that my sticker isn't there.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ Jun 6 2006, 10:59 PM) [snapback]267079[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you can get replacment stickers. Find your original paperwork and it explains how. They are issued by VIN number so you are not depriving anyone else of stickers. You are replacing the set your car already qualifies for. You'll have to pay for them again, though.

That's why I put 3M clear bra film over mine.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Take a digital photo of the existing sticker, print it and stick it on with double stick tape over the "voids". Reprint as needed. Or get a dmv replacement in 4-15 weeks.

Seriously, I don't see how a cop could hassle you. He can't even see the driver's side normally, and if you do get stopped, you have 3 good ones and the paperwork to prove it. just my opinion.

6. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yea, i think i'm just going to remove the void and clean it up, if i get pulled over, i'll explain, then if necessary, reapply for a new set. Anyone know the best way to remove it without damaging the paint?

7. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would have assumed the stickers also came with removal instructions. Was that not the case? Surely somebody at that office conceived the notion that someone might eventually want to remove those stickers from their vehicle!

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Your sticker was ripped off. They do not "fall off". You should be able to heat the remaining adhesive backed plastic and peel it off. I think there are removal instructions on the DMV website. As for the HyHy with stickers - write down the license number and turn him in to DMV. We don't need stinkin' cheaters in the HOV lane making life even harder for law-abiding hybrid owners.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Man, that SUCKS! I hope no other wise guys decide to do that to other Priuses and qualifying hybrids. Them doing this crap CAN damage the paint.