1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOV stickers in glove box

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmorrowus, Aug 14, 2005.

1. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I very rarely am in a situation where I would want to use the HOV lanes, so I don't really want to mess up the exterior with the stickers, especially considering the program only lasts until 2008, and then the stickers would be useless if the program isn't extended.

So I'm thinking of getting the CA HOV stickers for my 2004 Prius, but keeping them in the glove compartment. The interesting question is what would happen if a cop were to pull me over for driving in the HOV lane without the stickers.

The vehicle code is pretty clear that the stickers must be properly displayed on the vehicle:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21655_9.htm

So I'm assuming the cop could legally impose the whole $271 fine for unauthorized HOV use, if they were so inclined. But hopefully showing the cop the stickers would get them to let me off with a warning.

Originally I thought it might be a "fix it" ticket (properly called a "Correctable Violation"). But after reading the vehicle code for correctable violations:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d17/vc40303_5.htm

I'm now thinking that won't apply, since the HOV stickers don't seem to fall into any of the categories listed as correctible violations.

So it looks like I would indeed be risking the $271 fine by driving in the HOV lane even if the stickers were in the glove compartment.

But my guess is that the cops will be used to seeing Priuses in the HOV lanes; the distinctive Prius body shape is easier to spot than a sticker. So hopefully they wouldn't even notice the lack of the sticker.

An aside: I was just reminiscing about how my Corbin Sparrow got serial number 8 California EV parking sticker. I suspect I'll be lucky to get serial number 8000 HOV sticker by the time I straighten out my Hybrid fastrak status.

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

Let's say your family owns a few Prii. Keeping the sticker in the glove compartment would allow you to share those stickers among your various cars. Hence the specific wording of the law.

Thus, I suspect you would be held in FULL violation for not having it affixed properly.

These stickers are not hard to remove. I suspect it is just like the inspection sticker in my state. These things come off real easy with a razor blade.

3. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think the cops will be used to seeing prii in the HOV lane ***WITH THE STICKERS*** and will notice any prii without the stickers.

i think what's worse-- if the police officer pulled you over, and forced you to apply the 3 stickers on your paint THERE AND THEN in the locations they have to be.

that's why i'd just suggest putting them on your window areas before first use. that way you can store them in your glove box until you need to use them the first time... and then when you do, you can apply them on your windows, keeping your paint safe... plus they'll be easier to remove. plus a cop might not really care to see them in the exact position they have to be. they should just be visible enough that they don't miss them! they'll know at first glance it's a HOV-lane approved PRII.... and i'm guessing that'll end the issue.

(however, don't get me wrong. if they pull you over for speeding... and if the cop is having a bad day or you give him/her attitude, then you're asking for trouble!! well even if the cop is having a good day, being stopped is just asking for cops to notice any other improper things about your car). otherwise, i bet clearly visible on windows-near-where-they-should-be-placed-propperly should be okay!

4. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    prius04, i dont agree. if you have them in your glove box, they might useful if they are assigned to the vehicle you're driving. ie: if you buy them for prius#1 and then have them in your glove box for prius#2, i bet you'll be in deep doodoo if you try to lie to the cop and say they are for prius#2 [cause the cop would probably look it up]. how ever, you might get some grace if they actually are for priuse#2 and you make up some story ("oh, i just got them and am driving home to put them on with my wife. we want to wash our car before applying the stickers as the directions say" for example.)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm not sure where your sticker is supposed to go (in Virginia, we have to get an entirely different license plate to use HOV lanes), but have you considered using adhesive magnet strips to put the stickers on metal, or suction cups to hang them on the window?

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

Davedog,

You make a good point for the car that they are meant for. But what if the cop figures that the reason you did not stick them on is because you have another Prius at home without the stickers.

In my state, you need 2 license plates. If you don't have the front plate on the car, the penalty is not trivial even if you have a good excuse. This is because some people use that front plate to put on the back of a second car that is not registered.

If you want to use the sticker, and it goes on the inside of the window for the cops to see outside, use clear saran wrap to cover the glue. Be careful so as to not have wrinkles.

Then just use spit as the adhesive. I've tried it with parking stickers and it works just fine. And I suppose you could do a similar thing for those that go on the paint. Of course, if whatever you then use to stick them on weakens, you are out the sticker.

There are 3 stickers in CA? Wow. Sounds like a little overkill.

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How come we don't just paint a bit yellow stripe across the right side of the car from head to tail? :)

8. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

3 stickers? Nope, we get to put on 4 !!

My husband has never put any bumper stickers on any car we have owned and is gonna be very unhappy when these come in. I'm hoping that we can come up with a good compromise placement.

10. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those stickers shouldn't go directly on the paint.

I've applied for stickers, but will wait a bit to see if those who put them on the rear windows survive. If that half-way measure doesn't work, I'll put the stickers on some cut-to-fit magnetic material, or on cut-to-fit 3M transparent bra plastic. In fact, the bumpers are plastic so magnetic won't work.

11. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tmorrowus

I asked my sister in law and she said that she would give you the ticket if you leave the stickers in the glove compartment and she thought than any other law enforcement officer would as well. Then let the judge sort it out because that's their job. Also she would not allow you to apply the stickers while she was giving you the ticket because the freeway is not a safe place to work on your car.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had bumper stickers on my last car. Two were pretty new when I decided to sell and get my Prius. So I went out and bought two more for my new car. Haven't put them on yet. I'll wait until the HOV decals come so I don't put the bumperstickers where the decals are supposed to go. After I put the decals on, I'll go ahead and put on the bumper stickers. If anything, they'll make the decals a little less obvious.

I wouldn't mind getting another bumper sticker or two based on some of the suggestions in one of the threads here. I think "Weapon against mass consumption" is my favorite.

Right now I only have "Dog is my CoPilot" and "Dogs bless America."

I often have my dog in the car with me riding shotgun.

13. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi All,

I thought I would weigh in here... while I am not thrilled about blighting my beautiful silver bullet with the bilious yellow decal, I am pretty thrilled about being given the opportunity to do so.

I shall therefore consider these golden stickers as another reward for being intelligent, environmentally and globally conscious for purchasing this car to begin with.

Although I am not jumping for joy about the color or noticeability of the stickers, I still think that I will be a darn sight happier to have them on my car than the folks that are driving other hybrids that do and can not get them at all. I am pretty sure that the Ford Escape and Honda Accord Hybrid drivers would love to be included in our rarified little group.

Also, if by seeing me cruising happily and solo down the HOV lane with my silver Prius and golden stickers both gleaming in the California sun one Hummer (or Blazer or F-250 or Escalade) driver decides that they want to be able to do that too and trades their gas guzzler for one of our fuel efficient beauties than it will all have been worth it for everyone.

Don't you all agree?

Also, with regard to putting the sticker on the window instead of the quarter panel, if it is allowed I will consider it but I think I may just opt for the correct positioning (by DMV) standards for all of my reasons detailed above.

Take care all & have a great week,

Tisza

14. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ya know... what about putting a paint-safe sticker underneath? i know it might make it "stealable" but better for the paint job!

also, i would totally NOT mind putting these permanent stickers on if the HOV lane-access were permanent. but come jan 2008, the stickers will be meaningless! and to remove you'd have to ruin some paint, or cover up w/ something tacky. if the HOV lane access were permanent, i wouldn't mind keeping the stickers permanetly in their correct possition. but the truth is--they're made to come off in less than 2 years... and that's the grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr about the situation.

15. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got the sticker. And put it where they said to here in FLA, which is on the lower right hand rear window. And then discovered that the nice DMV lady had screwed up my reg card; had put the VIN number from my former ride, a SCION, on the card.

SO, not to get an anal cop who would give me a ticket for not having the right VIN number with the sticker, I pulled off the sticker. And that comes to my point:

The sticker pulled off so easy, that I bet these stickers will be stolen Very Often.

Thus, when I do decide to go back and fix this mess, I will ask them what they think of the sticker being put INSIDE the window. I bet, that won't be allowed.

I also thought of the magnet idea, but came to the conclusion that would be seen as illegal as well.

Orwell.

16. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

" the truth is--they're made to come off in less than 2 years"

To be fair, Cali passed it a couple of years ago, but the foot-dragging Feds, spurred by Detroit, took almost two years to follow up with their part of the deal.

17. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

One of these forum posts (can't remember which) gave the 3m material data sheet for the material presumed to be used for the stickers. It was guaranteed to be removable for five years without harming the paint, provided you followed the directions (e.g. pull at 30 degrees). So I am now not too worried about having them on, but still don't like the aesthetics.

I wouldn't worry about theft. People who have vehicles that qualify for the stickers will just get them through legal DMV channels. People who have vehicles that don't qualify would literally be putting four signs saying "thief" on their car if they put the stickers on their car.

Thieves like to steal things that they can conceal, not things that cops look at.

Same reason I have no worry about having a fastrak pass stolen. That's literally a tracking device that should alert the police whenever it's used fraudulently, and with video documentation to boot.

18. losangeleschet

losangeleschet New Member

I am pretty anal about putting anything on my car. I only have a front end mask because I drive between LA and SF every other week. But I consider the HOV stickers an honor and I cannot wait to put them on the car! We should all display them with the satisfaction of knowing that we're doing something good for the country and the planet.

It will be so great to drive past the stinking SUV's all alone in my Prius, HOV stickers serving as a not so subtle reminder to them how irresponsible they are!

I'm also thinking of having a bumper sticker made up (for the window, of course) that says "suck my clean, clean exhaust!"

19. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is a picture of the sticker on an Rav 4 from the dontcrushme.com website (yes, the big Plug on the back is optional).
    Don't forget ours are yellow not silver- note one on bumper and one on the side. Our Prius is a bit smaller thought than a Rav.

20. wstander

wstander New Member

Holy bat doo-doo!!!

Could they make this thing any larger!!!

I ordered mine; they may not make it to the car...