1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about 84 inches!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pmanza, Oct 1, 2008.

1. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First off, sorry no pictures to prove it, my hubby would never have stopped making fun of me if I told him I had to take a pic for priuschat!

We needed more kitchen storage so we went to Lowe's to get a free standing pantry (18x24x84) and dh says "how are we going to get it home" and I said "the prius of course". Sure enough, seats down package in, and tied down the hatch so it didn't bounce and off we went. Package stuck out a bit, but was very stable no problems. Of course I got the obligatory area of paint rubbed off my bumper (grrrrr), so now I get to buy the bumper protector I should have bought before, and hope it covers the bald spot.

I really do love hatchbacks, my first car was a hatch and I am thoroughly enjoying the Prius!
    Fernsmom:bounce:

2. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We love the hatchback, especially for groceries. Save the GRRRR!!! moments for the 07 van we still own. flip the seats down into the tub and you can haul 4x8 pieces of plywood.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Being able to haul an 8" 2x4 with 2 people and all the doors and the hatch shut was one of our requirements of a car. We got odd looks when we went car shopping and the first thing we did was whip out a tape measure.

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My longest piece of wood was a full 100". (Gotta admit, didn't think people would be so straightlaced here given the subject line).
    When building my pergola, I needed three 2x10's, just a bit over 8' long, so I had some 10' pieces cut at Home Depot to be 100" long (they do that free), and they fit in the Prius with the hatch closed just fine (had to fold back the front passenger seat).

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I do not believe I will ever own a standard (non hatch back) sedan again.

6. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree!
    Or at least own one should be. Our Avalon has a hugh trunk, problem is that you can't put anything big, 3 dimensionally, cubewise, in it. The back deck comes back so far to provide headroom for the rear passengers, a plus for us, and the rear panel comes up very high. As a result you are limited to anything of any size 3 dimensionally.
    We'll also miss our '87 Ford Club Wagon, 8 passenger, when the Prius arrives. It's 2 rear bench seats are easily removed and you can lay 4'x8' sheets of plywood flat and still close the rear doors and 12' planks fit easily up between the 2 front chaptain's chairs. Between us and our 2 children's families, it was gotten it's share of trips to Home Depot, Lowes, antique and furniture stores, the county waste site, etc., over the years.