1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about a new mod for EBH ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Toothydaclown, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Toothydaclown

Toothydaclown #1 Clown----AAONMS----TRIPOLI

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I need something to remind me {dummy} that I am still plugged in to the outlet.
    How about some sort of sensor for the current on the ac line that will not allow the car to start until the current is no longer present? Any electrical geniuses out there who might give it a try?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You raise a good point. Those of us who live in colder climates have attempted to drive away with the cord still plugged in (C'mon, admit it, you have at least ONCE)

Emergency equipment is kept plugged in too. Mostly, the plugin is to ensure the air tanks are kept full (Air brakes will stay on once air pressure bleeds down, not much help in a fire emergency), batteries kept charged, etc

Kussmaul has a long history of providing special equipment to military, police, fire, EMS, etc. For example, their air system

Kussmaul Electronics Co., Inc. Auto Pump 120 Volt Data Sheet

Their automatic moisture dump system

Kussmaul Electronics Co., Inc. Auto Drain AC Data Sheet

Their heavy duty battery charging system

Kussmaul Electronics Co., Inc. Auto Charger D2 Data Sheet

And yes, their auto cord eject system

Kussmaul Electronics Co., Inc. Super Auto Eject Data Sheet

Not sure how well an emergency vehicle auto eject could be utilized in a car, if at all. It's an idea worth pursuing. Every winter, I spot cars trundling down the street, extension cord whipping behind like an angry snake, driver oblivious to why folks on the sidewalk are waving their arms and shouting

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is the major reason I have never installed an EBH in my car. I know that I would eventually try to drive away with it plugged in.

One idea I have had regarding this: Rig up the extension cord so that it comes down from above; it would be very visible from the drivers seat when plugged in. I could do this in my carport, but this might not be practical for everyone.

4. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That is a very good idea. I don't need a block heater. But in my garage, I have a self winding extension cord reel mounted on the wall. I use it to run my shop vac and air compressor. When finished with the cord, I give it a tug and it rewinds.

These type of cord reels can also be mounted hanging from the ceiling rafters or joists. So then as Dogfriend suggested, you could mount it right above your hood, and pull the cord down for use. Then it would be plainly visible and you'd be less likely to drive away with the EBH still plugged in.

Since you can stop the rewind at almost any level, you don't even need to let the end of the cord rewind all the way into the reel. Just stop it above the roof level of your car, to make it easy to grab the next time.

These type of self-winding extension cord reels can be purchased at Sears and most hardware stores.

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think someone else came up with a magnetic plug and socket for the prius... which sorta solves the problem.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Or, just do what I did: have a heated attached garage.

Problem solved!

7. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I am going to do is install it and leave the plug under the hood so when I use the heater the hood will be up, now I hope I don't forget to put the hood now.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep that would work if you parked in the garage. Not a good idea if parked outside

9. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    jayman, The red baron is in the garage, will be going on my first long drive to upstate NY (700 miles) to see my mom and have my nephew put the heater in for me. He has a big lift in his garage so the install shouldn't take too long.
    Happy Easter

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Family members with nicely equipped garages/lifts

I hope you stay on his good side

11. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He works as a mechanic and has a dragster for fun so he has all the stuff uncle boppo needs. Going in the morning.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Make sure you routinely send xmas and birthday presents. Relatives like that are worth keeping, even if you personally can't stand them

I'm lucky in that regard: I have relatives not worth keeping, and I can't stand them. It's a win-win

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    drape the cord over the drivers side outside mirror.

14. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is an idea: Extend the cord to the rear of car.When you pull out the cord will pull loose. I used a piece of aluminum wire and fastend my ebh plug securely. The one time I pulled out forgetting to un plug, it came loose with only slightly bending a prong.

15. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have the cord plugged into the outlet on the ceiling of my garage (where the garage door opener is also plugged in). The cord runs down from the ceiling so it's hard to miss. But to be double sure I also drape it over the mirror like Pat does (mostly for my wife who normally doesn't think about these strange contraptions).

16. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not just use a velco strap or attach a hook of some sort to the extension cord and hook/strap the cord to the drivers door handle? That way you can't get in the car without grabbing onto the extension cord, good reminder. Another option if you park in the garage, leave your keys somewhere in the garage, that way if you forget to unplug the extension cord you get in the car and hit power (for SKS owners) and the car just beeps back at you until you get and and get the keys, and remember to unplug the EBH. Not sure what else you could do if you park outdoors... Short of designing some defeat system that will not allow the car to start with the EBH plugged in. I really wouldn't know, here in Texas we really have no use for an EBH... lol.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you leave the FOB in the garage with the Prius, both will have dead batteries in short order