1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about a "Newbie FAQ" write up by someone

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by efusco, Dec 10, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wanna do something for Priuschat but don't think you're techie enough? Then this little project might be just the thing.

I'd like to see someone put together a nice, thorough, well linked/referenced but concise article to post in the stickies for the Newbie forum that contains answers to many of the most common questions...

ex.
    "Why doesn't my battery every get to the top"
    "why does the battery on the energy display turn green"
    "Why am I only getting 40mpg"
    "Why does the engine turn on so fast, I thought you were supposed to go up to 40mph on the battery"
    "Why can I only get 8 gallons of gas in the tank"
    "How do I turn on the heat, my car only says A/C"
    "I was getting 50mpg in the summer, now my FE has gone down to 35 in the winter, why?"
    "How can I get 60+mpg like I see some people doing?"

Obviously most of these questions have been very thoroughly answered elsewhere. I think you should include both a concise easy to understand answer to each question AND a link to the more thorough answer. This'll take a little time to do well, but shouldn't be too difficult.

I'd suggest soliciting more common questions, but don't get carried away...maybe the top 20 or 25 questions asked? You can probably just search this newbie forum to find ideas. Others can suggest here as well.

Then write up a nice document with the questions, answers, links, etc. Format it nicely with numbered questions, an index at the top, bold the questions, link to prior answers, etc.

Any takers?

2. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How about if we start working on it in this thread? When we get the answers worded the way we like we (or maybe you/a moderator) can transfer them to a sticky at the top of this forum making this a sort of a work in progress.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's fine...I was sort of looking at this as an opportunity for someone to get actively involved on an individual level.

I could knock out the article in an hour or less...but I think it's a good opportunity for someone else to both become involved and maybe learn something new.

4. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What is the meaning of ... common Prius community acronyms/abbreviations?

ICE=Internal Combustion Engine, EBH=Engine Block Heater, MG1=Motor Generator 1 (the smaller engine starter electric motor), MG2=Motor Generator 2 (the larger electric motor for propulsion), TPMS=Tire Pressure Monitoring System, VSC=Vehicle Stability Control, HID=High Intensity Discharge (headlamps), FE=fuel efficiency, G1=first generation Prius, G2=second generation Prius

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledge-base-articles-discussion/37699-priuschat-glossary.html