1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about this arrangement for JBL System Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Winston, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As we all know the front two channels of the Prius JBL system have separate outputs for the tweeters and drivers for the front two channels. This makes it difficult to connect a four channel amp to the system. Also, we need the front left speaker channel since that is the speaker that is used for the car to talk to us and the speaker used for Bluetooth enabled phone calls.

How about doing this. Use the rear two speaker outputs to connect to the new amplifier. Then take the four channel out put from the new amplifier to drive the four speakers in the doors. Then use the left front speaker output from the original JBL amplifier and connect it to the center front speaker on the dashboard.

That seems like it would work. No? The only thing you would loose is front/rear fade control from the MFD.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've thought about that too, but then I got a Cleansweep so I abandoned that option. But I agree that the center speaker is perfect for Bluetooth (and not good for anything else).

Yes, you would lose the Fade function, which may or may not be critical. Myself, I rarely touch the Fade setting once I've found a good balance. You could do the same with a 4- or 5-channel amp, I suppose.