1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How are you tracking your MPG?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Optimus, May 28, 2008.

1. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure how much the G2 mpg methods for determining mpg calculations apply to a G1, so I thought I'd see what the G1 owners are doing. I've read some limited information with G1's that the reported trip meter mpg reads about 2mpg higher than actual. Are any of you using the old school method of recording your mileage at fill ups and noting the # of miles driven between them? How accurate is that, considering there's a bladder that isn't going to fill up consistently each time?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I record and post my mileage at Hybrid Mileage Database - GreenHybrid.

Initially I was recording both the weekday and weekend mileage to get an idea about what different experiments. Later, after I got a Graham scanner and finished my fuel studies, I just fill with Shell 87 when it gets a little low.

Bob Wilson

3. eco

eco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  4. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks--how are you calculating though? If I go by the mpg trip meter, we are averaging about 48-52 depending on the driving routine.

Oh, and bwilson4web--you have a fill up of 14.4 gallons recorded on that website???

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I use the gas station receipts and one of the trip meters. BTW, if you pass over the "notes" on that 'large' tank, what happened is I forgot to reset the trip meter on one fill up. By the time I realized it, I had already put a bunch of miles on the car. So later when I filled up again, I just added the two receipts and trip meter mileage ... don't sweat the small stuff. <grins>

I prefer to use the MFD mileage display for experiments. So when I was testing hill climbing efficiency, I simply reset it at the beginning of each climb and recorded the MPG at the end for different speeds. Since the MFD miles is imprecise, I'll often clear one of the trip meters at the same time to get the distance to the nearest 1/10th mile.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i do it the old fashioned way... paper pencil... well actually, gas receipts and excel.. but same thing....

7. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks--I passed the mouse over dozens of those "notes" entries towards the stop and all of them showed a pop up saying there weren't any additional details. I assumed all of them were empty, and I never even checked the entry for the 14.4 tank, so my mistake! That's what I get for assuming!

8. rapidroy

rapidroy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bob I noticed from your millage post, the cars seem to get better mileage when the tempter is higher. Would you think it is the intake air for the ICE or because the oil is hotter and thiner with less resistance. Maybe the car needs a higher thermostat for better mileage. I think I will install a watter tempter and oil tempter gage and monitor them to see if higher tempter makes a difference in millage. Any thoughts on this. Thanks Roy

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This remains an area of great interest and the more we look at the data, the more curious it becomes. Every winter I have learned one new thing but in North Alabama, our winters are short and mild. I'll summarize these lessons later ... not enough time for a full answer.

Welcome to the CLUB! Some of our Japanese friends have done some work in changing the coolant thermostat and I think Patrick Wong did something in this area.

Bob Wilson

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

better gas mileage in summer is result of several things:

summer gas has more energy. gas has a relatively high freezing point. to prevent gas line freeze ups, components are added to lower the freezing point. simply put, the components take up space but dont burn... hence a "gallon" of winter gas does not have a gallon of "gas" in it.

cold air is denser. denser air means the car has to work harder to get up and maintain speed.

warmed up cars get better mileage. your Pri, like any car with ICE runs best around 180-190º F. that means that those short trips you do in the summer can be up to 50% more efficient than the same trip in the dead of winter since in winter you will not get that high on trips shorter than a few miles. i ran several tests on my 2004 with CANVIEW and found that in the winter time, not only was getting the Pri warm took longer, i also had issues with keeping it warm if driving on surface streets at speeds 35 mph or less. on drives with frequent stops, i may lose 5-10º of engine temps just by sitting at stoplights. get a handful of those in a short stretch and i was seeing engine temps down to the 150's...iow, at the bottom of the warmup stage again.

defrost and A/C defrost is a killer on your mileage. its also something that is vital in certain areas (me for example since humidity is 99% EVERY winter morning here). unlike the AC in the Pri which is electric, highly efficient and evolved to reduce energy consumption, the defrost is not. barrring temps in the high 100's, The Pri's AC has a relatively small impact on mileage unlike the old belt driven compressor style AC of the past.

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Some additional significant factors causing lower MPG in cold weather include:

1. Tire rolling resistance goes up as temperature goes down. True LRR tires mitigate this tendency by using organosilicates in the rubber compound to retain flexibility at colder temperatures.
    2. Wet/slush/snow on the road surface significantly adds rolling resistance and is more prevalent in cold weather.
    Attached is my current MPG spreadsheet (4 years, 118,000 miles). It clearly shows the correlation of MPG and Temperature as well as comparing two different true LRR tires (Michelin MXV4+, Nokian WR) with the original GY Integrity tires that came with my 2004 Prius.

JeffD

Attached Files:

12. rapidroy

rapidroy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    cold air is denser. denser air means the car has to work harder to get up and maintain speed.
    Hi Dave, thanks for your info. I also had a thought on the cold air verses hot air. I know there is more oxygen in cold air than in hot air from my racing experience. Cooler, more oxygen, more power, go faster. I also thank there is more Ario drag on a car in cold weather, your term denser air. I don't have a clue as to how much. I think this would partly explainer the higher millage in warm weather. On the engine temperature, a race car makes the most power at about 220 degrees F., however I don't know if it is the most efficient. Any body know if the engine temperature can be monitored with a scan 2 code reader, as I would like to monitor the engine temperature.

Roy

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Roy,

I agree that the Prius mpg seems to improve in hot weather, frequently making up for the extra load imposed by the air conditioning system.

As Bob mentioned, I explored the feasibility of obtaining a higher temperature engine thermostat with Ken's (in Japan) help but this is not stocked by the US Toyota parts distribution system. I lost interest in that particular project with the seasonal return to warmer weather and the press of other activities.

Since you live in Florida I would not suggest using a higher temp thermostat unless you have a reliable way to track your engine coolant and engine oil temps.