1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How are your floor mats wearing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Last month while doing a very thorough cleaning and waxing for my Prii’s first birthday, I had noticed what looked like a spot on the driver side floor mat under the gas pedal. Upon removing the mat for a good vacuuming and shampoo, I had come to realize that the “spot†was actually the carpet backing showing through!!! :angry:

Yes, I cleaned the mat fairly (not abusively) often - I actually take it out and use the powerful house vacuum.
    And NO, I don’t wear spurs. :huh:

One year and 13,000 miles. GEESH! What are they making these things out of??? Recycled paper products????

Anyone know of a product designed to be placed/attached/glued/melted etc. onto the worn area? The rest of the driver side mat looks new, so I would rather repair it somehow.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    coming up on 34k and haven't noticed anything. But then I haven't gotten quite as "intimate" with my mat as you seem to like to with yours! :eek:

I do use some rubber 'goop catcher' mats in the winter/mud months, but that's only about 3-4 months out of the year.

Hope someone has a 'patch' idea for you.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, there aren't enough options for the 'not showing wear' category. I need an 'over 2 years and no wear.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    DANG!!! Once again the poll previews OK but posts AFU!!!!!

[hey mods, any chance of fixing . . . or just kill and I will repost]

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Should've had a vote for "No wear, have 3rd party covers." I grabbed the ones I had in my old car and they're still good after 15 years.

6. benighted

benighted New Member

Theres a lot of dirt and mud where I live so I just use the clear plastic mats over the carpet ones

7. Liam

Liam New Member

Mine are not showing wear and I do wear spurs.

8. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    If it bothers you, I think you'll have to spring for a new one---but save the original for possible FUTURE patch/splice material. Don't know a thing you can do, short of whining and throwing yourself on the mercy of the dealer (maybe Parts has lots of them and they'll feel sorry for you).

That's why I ALWAYS take the driver's mat out the first day and store it until I sell/trade in. I buy deep-tread, flexible rubber ones to use instead, and smaller-ribbed, clear plastic ones to cover as much of the passenger's side Prius mat as possible.

9. marlowe7

marlowe7 Junior Member

Don't know of a repair kit, but I thwarted the problem by buying a set of Exactmats. They're basically the same material they use to put under office chairs—clear plastic with spikes on the bottom (to grab the carpet). They make them custom-cut to fit the Prius, and the carpet color and logo still show through. You can generally find them being auctioned on ebay, but I got mine from the dealer. They're perfect for protecting the carpet mats and look better than the normal slab of brown rubber.

10. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you're putting another layer on top of the floor mats, why do you need the floor mats in the first place? I'm not planning to pay $186 for my 2006 Prius. Way too expensive.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I got new ones under warranty, no questions asked. There was a hole all the way through the pile under the driver's heel in 11,000 miles.

Nate

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're ok. Except they have an imprint of the Toyota all-weather mats I have on top of the carpet mats. Both sets of mats are fine. This is after 19,000kms

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

:lol: :lol: :lol:

14. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You prob have those nasty hard heels... wear sandals or go barefoot... tennies at worse..... Loosen up man.... be groovy!... B)

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Asics Gel Foundation VII, size 16EE.

Nate

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.promoreply.com/aol/images/146/asw582.jpg
    Asics Gel Foundation VII

So Nate, for a proper repair job, do i glue or melt them onto the floor mat?
    - and my hopes were rising. :mellow:

I guess I will try the dealer and see if it would be covered as a defective item, being that it has only been a year or so.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "What is a Pachyderm, Alex?"

18. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow!! i guess i'm very happy i bought the exact mats from metrotpn for my new pri.....for $54 with free shipping.....they are the clear plastic ones & they are cut exactly to the prius mats.....i really luv em!! i'm getting ready to buy some for the back hatchback area..they reallly keep the original mats clean......& i guess in better shape!

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You mean you aren't planning on paying $186 for the mats from the factory? Good luck, they all come with floormats.

As for the mats, they're okay. I'm planning on replacing them at some point with some nicer higher pile mats in a slightly darker color to keep them from staining hopefully. The Ivory color stains TERRIBLY.

20. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My salesman asked me if I wanted the floormats for $186. I said no. That was it. Don't know what's going to happen when I pick up the car in January.