1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How best to drive other hybrids

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by LisaNC, Mar 25, 2013.

1. LisaNC

LisaNC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Prius Chat forums have helped me so much-- the tips on how to drive to get the best mpg, as well as more general info (air filters, etc.) have been especially helpful. However, one of my best friends just bought a Jetta Hybrid. I tried to talk her into the Prius, but she is a VW girl. She really likes it, but can't find any Jetta- specific information similar to what I have found here for my Prius. I explained to her how I try to drive to get better mpg, etc. But her Jetta has a completely different transmission, so my advice won't help in that regard. She asks me a lot of questions that I just can't answer, but I am her "hybrid expert". LoL. I know this is a Prius only space, but if any of you have suggestions that I can point her to, that would be so helpful and much appreciated! Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool! what is she averaging for mpg's so far?

3. LisaNC

LisaNC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    She's averaging mid 30s. It is super fun to drive and feels really solid/safe (a bit better than the Prius, actually). But the mpgs are underwhelming...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does the window sticker epa # show? that might be the best you can do. after all, it's not a prius!:p

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Send her to CleanMPG.com, for more generic hypermiling advice for all vehicles. Check it out yourself too.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

It might be like the new Fusion Cmax where prius like techniques dont work so well in them. They work in the 10-12 FFH, but the new one is a new puppy that takes some retraining if you want to get into the 40s and what I found are new hybrid owners are doing better then prius converts.

Steady smooth acceleration then feather into the speed limit you want, and just keep it there with very light touches on the pedal, but most important, read traffic. In the new Fusion braking means everything, you have to maximize it, the VW may be the same. It does not like hard braking, but slow steady constant pressure until you come to a smooth stop with very little hydraulic braking.

Have her try that and see if it helps. SOC has a big impact on MPG in the Fusion, and may be the same in the VW as well.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with fuzzy. Check out Cleanmpg.com. She will find basic hypermiling information useful as it is not specific to a particular car.