1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How big is the backseat in the 2009 compared to the 2013/14?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by buck_rogers, Sep 7, 2013.

1. buck_rogers

buck_rogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How big is the back seat of a 2009 compared to newer versions? I sat in a 2013/14 today and the back seat was very roomy. I was surprised. But, since the used 09/10 Priuses are so hard to find, I can't sit in them.

Anyone have experience in this? The 2013 was larger than most other cars, like a Civic, Volvo, Jetta, etc. Thanks again. I have to fit five people in the car.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is ample room for three adults in the back seat. They might be a little crowded if big, but there is still room. I have not compared them, but have looked at them. I don't think there is much difference, but others may disagree.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've had both, and though the specs say the gen III is a bit larger, it isn't noticeable to the eye. major difference is the pull down cupholder/armrest. in the 09 (gen II) it is just a cupholder that folds out of the center console from the front. i like it better, actually.

4. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read that the 2010+ Prii lost 3" legroom in the rear seating area from the earlier 04-09 Prii.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no way, it's like a concert hall back there!:p

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can honestly say that I sit very comfortably in the back seat of our 09. I am six feet tall, have long legs and felt very comfortable. As other's have said, it is roomy back there.

7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read somewhere that the Prius has external dimensions close to a Corolla, but internal dimensions closer to a Camry.

There is a lot of room in the back for a smallish car: I'd say it's not quite a Camry, but it's a lot roomier than a Civic or a Golf.

8. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, methinks the Prius Gen II is very roomy in the back indeed! Almost limousine quality compared to ALL the average Euroboxes they sell around here in the UK. It makes vehicles like the Golf look claustrophobic in comparison. Indeed, I'd say the rear space even with the front seats shoved back are on par with the "Skoda Superb circa 2005". That's the model that's a dead ringer for the Passat from which it was directly derived - except it IS a stretched VW Passat Body!! And the rear passengers get the stretched section! Look it up - you'll see what I mean :)