1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How big is the charger AC plug?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rebound, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]I'm installing an outdoor outlet for my PiP charger. I'm getting a weatherproof cover, so I need to know how far the AC cable will stick out from the outlet, including any cable that has to bend in order to make it point down.

I hope this makes sense: A weatherproof outlet has a hinged cover that snaps over the plug and outlet, and the AC cable then runs through a hole in the bottom.

2. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    level1cord.jpg

looks like 3 1/2 inches should do.

I have the box resting on a paving brick to relieve tension on the plug itself.

2 people like this.
  3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know.

4. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you find a weather proof cover that is extra deep AND has the hole for the cord on the cover rather than the base, I'd love to know where you got it. I'm sure I could get my cord through the one I have, but I don't like the idea of having to bend the cord as much as I would have to.

This is what I have: Shop REDDOT 1-Gang Rectangle Electrical Box Cover at Lowes.com

5. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm installing a new Lamp Post in the yard near the right-rear of the PIP, when I park it on the right-side of the driveway.

I'm planning a Plastic Enclosure that will attach at eye-level to the post and house a double-gang box with Switch and duplex outlet and a hook for the EVSE, to keep it out of the weather. Though it should be weather-proof, the tag says keep away from snow and water. I'm also added a 2nd double-gang bot and wires for future 220vac.

Wiring 120vac 20amp Power to the Switch, that will power the outlet, which will have a Kill A Watt. Then a right-angle 4' extension to the EVSE with a slot in the bottom for the cord to the car.

But I'm still looking for the Box !!!

I'll be away for 10 day and will search more when I get back.