1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I buy a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by srlandis, Dec 23, 2005.

1. srlandis

srlandis New Member

:( I ordered a Prius from a dealer and was assured that it would be here by Christmas so I could take possession of it in early January (to get the tax advantage), and as recently as last week I was told it would be in any day. Then today, I called and the dealer said they had no idea when it would be in. I'm so bloomin' mad! Anyone know how I can get one? I'm ready to buy. I want a blue one.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First post a location. You will get more help. No one wants your address a general area will help. Second get on multiple dealer lists. Third have you considered buying out of your area. I got my car 800 miles from home in the dark days when wait lists were measured in months. I got lucky my son found it for me. Sometimes rural dealers have more cars. I also have a theory that where there is one dealer in a state capitol you my find more cars as a result of sales of hybrids to the state motor pools. All I know is that Olympia WA gets a bunch of cars as does Helena MT. FWIW.

3. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

Locate all the dealers in your area and send emails and make some phone calls. Only you can decide what you consider 'your area'. How far are you willing to travel to buy the car. It is a one-time trip, but some offer service incentives from what I hear. The Toyota web site can help with dealers, as can the phone book.

Is there a specific reason you are in such a rush? I can understand the disappointment and irritation of being told one thing and then it not happening. I am just wondering if time is really critical, like you have sold your current vehicle and need to replace it ASAP. The timing will play a part in how far you may have to go to get the car. Distance and price.

Best wishes!

4. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

waiting is one the things I hate most in teh world. I couldnt fathom having to wait months for a prius.

I saw my 2004 on a net carsales site, went to the dealer and checked it out/had numerous demonstrations, picked it up 6 days later ;)

If I ever get a 2006, it wont be til 2008 :p I got two mortgages, a stepkid, an intermittently demanding wife and a cat who thinks that everyone in the universe are his subjects(he is really cute tho !) :p

5. gnagel

gnagel New Member

I've already been told that I should expect to wait 4 months for my 2006 Prius.

I'm fine with the wait, but I won't be happy if it's not ready for pick-up after the four months pass.

6. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I've been told the same in the past -- in fact, I ordered mine around Oct 1. and was told late January... But I went to another dealer in my area and they had two #6's sitting on the lot not belonging to anyone. So I got them to hold it for me till the second.

I still think they have one in Barcelona Red if anyone is near northern Delaware (Price Toyota).

7. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    not sure what part of tn you live....but i am originally from the nashville area......i had thought i would order one from there.....but since changed my mind......i did have contact with rivergate toyota....& they do have an internet division......they aggressively wanted to sell me a prius.. so u could always check there.....at this time since the gasoline has come down...prii become available...... so i would definitely check at other dealers in your area....& i am sure that you will find your car......good luck & dont give up! <_<

8. Springtime

Springtime Member

Many dealers have their inventory on the internet. In the southeastern PA area I have found 5 at one dealer, 13 at another and 31 on the lot at one of the larger dealerships.

You said you wanted blue, but, you did not say what package. You can pretty much tell by the price which pkg is in the dealer's inventory. So, check out several dealer sites to see what is available in your area.

Next, go to your dealer and let him know you have been looking at other dealership inventories and you hate to drive 50 miles, but, if that is what it is going to take to get the car, that is what you will have to do. If he wants your business he will get on line to see which dealer has the car you want and will make a call and swap with the other dealer. You will get your car and be able to pick it up locally.

I think that as of 1/3/06 after the rest of us pick up our new cars on 1/2/06 you may find that several cars suddenly become "available" because several people put their names on more than one waiting list.

Springtime

9. srlandis

srlandis New Member

10. srlandis

srlandis New Member

After I called the dealer and told them they had lied to me, telling me last week that mine would be in "any day now" when actually they have no idea except that it will be a month or more, they finally said that on Tuesday they will call. We'll see. I've already gone outside my area to get the car..my local dealership has a very bad name so I'm using one 90 miles away... but that strategy isn't working. I had actually put my name on the list in Sept, so I've been waiting for a long time already.

I appreciate the advice and ideas tho..I am looking further afield. I don't mind driving to get what I want. In case anyone out there knows of one, I'm looking for a blue, pkg #4. I wasn't in a rush earlier except to get the tax break that everyone else wants, but based on the info the dealer gave me last week, I sold my car. So now I do need to get one within the next couple of weeks.

I live in Chattanooga, but was using the dealership Neill-Sandler in Murfressboro.

susan