1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I find Service Bulletins on the Prime in the Future?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stevepea, Apr 24, 2017.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is there a place (other than going into the Toyota service dealer) where one can find, or look up "Service Bulletins" related to the car? Not official recalls, but known major problems that are sent to the dealers -- especially those prevalent enough to where Toyota might even extend the warranty time to fix them?

Honda calls them "Service Bulletins" (not sure what Toyota does), but the one thing that made me a bit angry about Honda, was that known major problems with their cars are sent to dealers -- and if a customer comes in complaining about the problem, they would fix it (often for free) -- otherwise, they NEVER notify customers of such defects, and customers are on their own.

Example of what I'm talking about:
    I generally take my car to a non-dealer mechanic (someone our family has known for years, and has serviced all our cars for years). The problem is, while he tries to stay current, he doesn't get service bulletins from the car companies, so when a problem happens, we pay him to fix it. One of 4 examples on the last car (Civic Hybrid): there was a known problem with the Civic Hybrid's EPS control box, which, upon starting up, would start to cause the steering not to function at all (the temporary "fix" I found was to turn off the engine, wait a few seconds and try again). This had been going on with my car for about 2-3 years (it was almost 12 years old) but I never brought it into the dealer because it's not something I could make happen to show the dealer or mechanic -- and I didn't want to pay $$ for them to go looking through the entire car on a wild goose chase for what might be causing something that would only happen maybe once every month or so. Well, not too long ago, I decided just for the heck of it, to try to video myself starting the car each time with my phone in hopes of getting it on video. Sure enough, I finally managed to capture it freezing up. Went down to the dealer, showed it to the mechanics at the dealer, they immediately knew what it was "Yeah, we've seen a lot of that, we have a Service Bulletin on it." It was so much of a problem, Honda even extended the warranty on that part to 10 years (starting when that year's model was 8 years old already) but because it was intermittent I didn't go to the dealer until I finally got it on video. By now, they said it was past 10 years, and my bill would be $850 for a problem serious enough that Honda extended the warranty to 10 years (from 3) -- but didn't tell anyone but their dealers about it. In the end, Honda agreed to pay 50% and I paid 50% because it was a known defect, but this is one example of 4 things that were known problems (including a defective suspension that caused tires to go bald, and eventually became a class action lawsuit) that were all Important "Service Bulletins" but were never told to anyone other than the dealers (I'm not talking about small stuff, but problems that are large enough to make a company extend the warranty on them).

So...
    I'm wondering if Toyota keeps some sort of database anyone can check... or if there's some way to see or find known issues about the car (especially issues known enough to where Toyota might extend the warranty to fix that particular problem) without having to go to the dealer? Like to be able to check every 6 months or so to see if there are known issues (not "recall" level, but major known issues) that, for instance, Toyota is extending the warranty on for that particular issue?

#1 stevepea, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perfect, just what I was looking for. Thank you!

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Tideland Prius
    This may be worth a sticky. Your call.
    Or an entry in the Newbies forum.

sonomac likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This one I won't, since it's easy enough to google :)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A