1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I keep cats from jumping up on kitchen counter to forrage?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by NoMoShocks, May 11, 2010.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, if people like cat threads, here is a question.
    Without causing any permanent harm to the cat, how can I teach him to stop jumping up on the kitchen counter to forrage for and eat our food? If we leave something unattended for more than 15 seconds, the cat thinks it can be his. We do feed him, and he is getting a little chubby.

What we do is spray him with a water bottle, but he doesn't seem to get the point. Just thinks we are being mean, and then jumps back up on the kitchen counter to lick the pizza.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm. sounds like u cat training. i have had cats that might do that if no one is around, but they usually are pretty quick to get the hint that the counter is not welcome territory for them.

15 seconds? is unusual. i think u might be a bit too soft on them maybe? do u leave dry cat food in their bowl all the time?

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry its not possible. You will have to accept that the cat trains YOU, not the other way around.

I've learned to just accept it

1 person likes this.
  4. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, assuming he is indeed getting sufficient cat food (if he's getting chubby, then he probably is...) and all other efforts to keep him off the counters have failed, try this...it won't cause permanent damage, is fairly easy to apply, and is reusable if he forgets...

Items needed:
    1 wax candle
    1 razor blade scraper (to remove wax when done)
    1-2 pkgs thumbtacks

Apply thumbtacks point up, about 1/2" to 1" from edge of the counter using a drop of melted candle wax to keep them in place. String them from one end of the counter all the way to the other.

If you put them too close to the counter's edge he might be able see them and jump over them. Put them about 1" apart along the edge to ensure he hits at least one anytime he jumps up.

He'll soon know it's not a good idea to jump up there, and he'll let you know every time he makes an attempt too (meow-ouch!). :eek: Once he's learned his lesson, remove the thumbtacks with the scraper.

It's a lesson he'll pay attention to, but won't cause him any permanent damage.

If he forgets, just put them out again.

5. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Electrified chicken wire. :eek:

Next best thing - a Windex-like water sprayer. Show the cat what it does. Use it whenever he jumps up. Generously. :cool: But don't chase him.

[​IMG]

Then, just leave it on the counter in full view. The cat will associate the bottle as an unpleasant memory, and won't jump, thinking it will be sprayed with water requiring a whole hour of grooming.

However, no water sprayer...he'll jump right back up. Get more than one at the dollar store.

I also heard of people adding some lemon juice concentrate, so that the unpleasant smell and water on them is a greater deterrent. Just use regular water at first.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cats are so polite. They patiently wait for you to leave the room with your share of the meal, and then take their turn with the portion you've obviously left out for them. My dog, on the other hand, loves pizza so much she'll snatch it right off your plate and inhale it so fast you'll wonder where it went. And if you've got a piece in your hand, sort of absent-mindedly waving it around, well, that's just provoking her. Count your fingers when you're done. :p

1 person likes this.
  7. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry but that just seems cruel. Would you jab a person with a nail every time they did something wrong? Proportionally it's about the same thing. A far simpler and safer technique is to line the counter with double sided stick tape. Cats absolutely hate sticky stuff on their paws. You can even buy large sheets of it at pet stores specifically for cat training.

If this doesn't work, and the spritzer bottle doesn't work, then yes, I agree with the other poster who basically said you'll just have to learn to live with it. Train yourself not to leave food out. :)

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Agreed I would never intentionally hurt an animals paws with something like a thumb tack. That is just asking for a serious infection

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I once read about placing cardboard along the edge of the counters hanging off the edge. When the cat attempts to jump up, they actually jump on the cardboard (because they don't realize it's not going to support them) and then the cardboard flips over and the cat falls to the floor. After a few of these failed attempts to jump up, they stop trying.

My cat, on the other hand, figured out that the cardboard was just in the way. She would jump up to knock the cardboard down and then jump up on the counter.

The best way to stop a cat from foraging is to leave nothing for the cat to forage. My cat will typically only go where there is reward. When there is no reward, she either lays down or leaves.

10. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Instead of the tacks, use plastic carpet protector flipped upside down so the teeth that hold in place are pointing up. There was once a product available that was similiar but sold specificly for keeping cats off things. The carpet protector is much cheaper. It doesn't hurt, but is uncomfortable to walk on. To be effective, you'll need to cover where he can jump to.

I personaly have used mouse traps to keep our cats off, well, the mouse tanks. Set them, and place them upside down. They'll go off and flip up when the cat lands near them, spooking him.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't use anything that would physically damage the cute little creatures, but I have been known to use a low power fence charger attached to something conductive. When our current cat was a kitten she was hell on wheels with the Christmas tree. I used a small fence charger on the bottom row of ornaments and she learned in a hurry. My wife, on the other hand, was somewhat slower to train, which led to bigger problems than the cat.

If you do use a fence charger, make sure it is one specifically designed for small animals. You don't want to whack your cat with something made for cows and horses.

Tom

13. tbh524

tbh524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 people like this.
  14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is for dogs, but i have to imagine it'll work the same on a cat...

Invisible Fence

Basically, you get one of those invisible fence collars, put in on the cat, and put a small emitter on the counter. Cat jumps up, gets shocked, and gets down. At least, that's what happens with dogs.

15. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Keep feeding the cat pretty soon it'll be to fat to jump up on the counter. :p

or you could try SSScat

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never leave food on the benches or table when you are not near and if you are near and the cat gets on the table, smack it off. Yep, it is a dog eat dog world and that is how a cat would protect territory.

17. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I agree; the cat would smack you off the counter if the circumstances were reversed.

1 person likes this.
  18. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have no suggestions, since this is the only bad habit that our cat has yet to develop, but I wanted to say that I am enjoying this thread. :madgrin:

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well at least cats dont eat much. my in-laws have a yellow lab. he ate the entire leftover thanksgiving turkey and there was quite a bit left too!!

20. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I was a kid, I had a cat. One winter's day (in NYC), I came home from school, and sat down to take my snow boots off. The cat came over to me, purring, and gave me a very nice 'hello'. I was feeling good that the cat was happy to see meI home!

Then I got my shoes off, and went to the kitchen, where the cat was eating the thawing hamburger. The cat jumped off the counter and hid under the table.

I think the best strategy is to thaw the meat in the refrigerator - it is safer anyway.

Good Luck.

(I developed an allergy to cats, so now I don't have one.)