1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I read brake codes on my Gen 1 and other brake questions

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by KarenA, Mar 12, 2016.

1. KarenA

KarenA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

I took my beloved Gen 1 to a trusted but generic auto shop to simply change the front brakes and rotors. Two weeks of normal driving later, my ABS and Brake lights went on along with what I'm assuming is a cabin alarm. Within a mile, I was using my emergency brake to stop. And as I parked, it seems like I lost the ability to move forward, with an alarming rumbling coming from I don't know where. I shut the car off immediately and have been wary of replicating the situation, so I don't have more info. The fluids under the hood all look OK.

So my two questions are: Can I read the codes without spending a few hundred dollars? and Could a simple front brake change have damaged anything with symptoms not appearing until two weeks later?

I've read posts about jumpering the TC and CG terminals, but I need the instructions broken down a lot more to know how to do this. I did a lot of work on my previous car, but I haven't messed around with the hybrid at all. If I can read the codes before towing the car, I'd have a better sense of whether I should tow it to the original auto shop or the local dealership or even (gasp) salvage it.

Update: is jumpering the terminals as easy as using an SST 09843-18020 (or even a paper clip?)

Thanks for any help!

#1 KarenA, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    1) 4 main options:
    1. Auto parts store
    2. Bluetooth OBD reader ($12) and Torque Pro for Android ($6) - can install Prius specific codes to read much of the Hybrid Control and battery data (OMFG WIN!).
    3. Wifi OBD reader ($20) and OBDfusion for iphone ($10) - meh
    4. MiniVCI ($30) and Win-32bit laptop you provide - same diagnostics as Dealer
    2) Not sure.

Good luck!

Steve

3. KarenA

KarenA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Steve. Mine's an '03 also.

I'll look into the Mac/iphone compatible readers. I thought I saw on another thread that the MiniVCI, like some other readers, doesn't read brake codes. If I find something that works, I'll post it.

Karen

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Absolutely ... paper clip, short piece of plain wire, whatever's handy. A quick search in this forum or elsewhere should easily get you a diagram of the DLC3 connector that will point out which pins Tc and CG are. Just be sure you don't go poking the wire into the wrong holes, take two or three good looks at the diagram and the connector under your dash.

When you turn on the ignition most of the computers will be in diagnostic mode and they will flash out two digit codes on different dash lights (that is, you count one group of blinks, then the next group after a little pause, to get your two digits). Multiple codes can be blinked out, with slightly longer pauses between them. You know you've seen them all when the first one you wrote down comes around again. Count the BRAKE light to get brake codes. You might see codes from other computers too. Any light that just does a steady fast blink means that computer hasn't got any news for you.

Best way to find out what the codes mean is the manual ... techinfo.toyota.com. It's behind a $15 paywall good for two days of access, pays for itself N times over in the money you save not making wild guesses about your car.

What you want will not be little one-liner fortune cookie messages for the codes, but the code table in the manual where each code sends you off to a page or six that cover exactly what you need to find out next.

-Chap

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to Chap's great post above, I'll add this.
    You remembered incorrectly or misunderstood.

Mini VCI will read brake codes and everything else to do with your hybrid (or any other Scion, Toyota or Lexus). It gives you the same level of diagnostic ability as a Toyota service center.

You can install it on your Mac too, as long as you have a BootCamp Win XP/Win 7 (32-bit) partition setup. You could also use a 3rd party VM such as VMWare or Parallels etc. Set up an individual diagnostic only image for Mini VCI with no network connectivity, for reasons that will be explained as you look more into it.

Another option that has recently come up mentioned by another member here, EdtheFox5, is VXDIAG:
    Hope that helps.

#5 dolj, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Brian in Tucson likes this.
  6. KarenA

KarenA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a great post -- thanks Chap. As long as I can't short anything out or electrocute myself connecting the right pins, it sounds like a plan.

Karen

Yep, my mistake. I read in another thread that the Scangauge couldn't read brake codes.

As far as readers go, has anyone tried the Innova 3040c? It's compatible with Macs and is reasonably priced, but Innovas (Innovae?) don't seem to get mentioned here much.

I'm looking forward to getting into the weeds of diagnosing the codes once I get them. I don't feel free to tinker with my Prius the way I did with my old car (not knowing what I don't know), but I'm loving this forum.

Karen

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no personal experience, and although they claim it is compatible with all vehicles with OBD2 1997 onwards, the problem can be reading a particular manufacturer's proprietary codes. It probably will do a good job reading generic codes, but fall down reading proprietary codes.

Maybe a member who has one of these could give a run down of it.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So the thing is, OBD-II is a sort of lowest-common-denominator regulatory standard that says to all automakers "thou shalt have these certain parameters and these certain codes that can be read from your vehicle in these standard ways" and so OBD-II vehicles do have to have those parameters and those codes, and anything calling itself an OBD-II reader has to be able to read those. But nothing stops the manufacturer from having lots of other diagnostic information you could also read by connecting to the same diagnostic port, but that standard OBD-II readers won't have any clue about.

There are diagnostic-code ranges that the standards reserve for manufacturer definition, and the same with reserved ranges of data parameters, but it goes well beyond that. There are something like seven different computers in a Gen 1 Prius responsible for different things, most of which a standard OBD-II reader would have no reason to even know are there. The Gen 1 is extra funky because a bunch of them share the same communication port but using different communication parameters and bit rates so whenever your scan device connects at 10.4k "9141" it is guaranteed not to see the ones that talk 9.6k "14230", and vice versa.

It got a lot tidier after the CAN standard came along and was used in the Gen 2. It's funny how much of Gen 1 was kind of cobbled up starting with parts they had around, like the way the rear cupholder is obviously a mutant ashtray.

-Chap

9. KarenA

KarenA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it took me no time to get back in the weeds, and that's without any grease on my hands.

I think I'm going to try the Innova as well as jumpering the terminals in the next day or two and let you know how it goes. I asked Innova about the proprietary codes and the funkiness of the Gen 1 (reading part of Chap's post). The rep said that the 3040c has enhanced Toyota codes and that all cars after 2002 used CAN. So I'm not sure what to expect, but it seems like a low-risk experiment.

Well, the Innova arrived today so I tried it and got:

C1251 -- Pump Motor Circuit Malfunction
    C1252 -- Hydro-Booster Pump Motor
    C1256 -- Accumulator Low Pressure Malfunction
    C1214 -- Hydraulic Control System Malfunction

The brake pedal is hard but works to the tiniest extent. I'm able to go forward and back with no rumble. The cabin alarm is annoyingly effective. Only the BRAKE and ABS warnings are lit.

I'll be looking these codes up, but any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Karen

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of that list I can only find 2 valid Prius Codes:
    • C1252 = Brake Booster Pump Motor on Time Abnormally Long
    • C1256 = Accumulator Low Pressure
    [EDIT]: I stand corrected, 1251 and C1214 are also valid. Obviously my reference list is incomplete, see Chap's post below. Thank you Chap :oops::X3:

#10 dolj, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What on earth do you mean? C1251 is covered on pages DI-406 to 408, C1252 is DI-409 to 415, C1256 is on DI-424 to 429, and C1214 is on DI-386. (All page numbers from my 2001 manual, for Karen's 2003 pages may be different.)

I would disregard the C1214 for now. Complaining about control of hydraulic pressure is beside the point when there is no hydraulic pressure to control. :)

From the C1251 and C1252 we know the hydraulic boost pump motor isn't running. Whether that's a wiring problem, relay problem, or the motor itself (which is something of a PITA to replace) is the next order of business. The pages listed above (or, the equivalent pages in Karen's manual) give tests and procedures to figure that out.

The manual suggests some tests by applying battery voltage right at the connectors on the pump. While that's a very direct test, it's also kind of inconvenient because those connectors are about as buried as the pump itself is. If you can find where the HYDRO MTR relays are (that's easy) and which socket terminal is which (wiring diagram, also on techinfo) you can do some of the same tests while standing upright. You can also find where the pump monitor wires run back to the brake ECU, which is under the dash ... also a little inconvenient to get to, you have to stand on your head in front of the driver's seat).

Sort of by accident, there's another post around that describes the control and monitoring for that pump a little bit ... I was replying on a thread about whether on-board diagnostics made auto work harder or easier, but it just happens that pump was the exact example I used.

-Chap

12. KarenA

KarenA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome link, thanks!

I've been using the manual that's here (priuschat.com/attachments/pirus-1-dtc-pdf.23046/), but since I found it by way of Google, I can't tell what year it's for. The page on where to look for leaks is very helpful (DI-407).

BTW, for anyone considering just connecting the DLC3 terminals Tc and CG, you can know that it's a documented procedure on pages DI 308-9. I'm kicking myself for buying a reader. I'm the adventurous one in the family and I got skittish from too many warnings about frying the computer from my brother and someone at the auto parts store (rolls eyes in hindsight).

I happily diagnosed a relay problem on my pre-hybrid car so with my limited tools I'm up for this. On the Prius, do I need to do anything like disconnect the 12V battery before pulling the relay out?

My other most pressing current question is this: Could doing something wrong while replacing the front brake pads and rotors cause these codes? A mechanic at the dealership said that some cars have hydraulic brakes (which require a different procedure) and some don't and you can tell only by looking at them. I'm also wondering whether there would be any need to disconnect the 12V battery or bleed the brakes when changing them.

Thanks for being so helpful with my newbie questions. This car drove me from California to NY and I'd hate to see it end its happy life in Long Island of all places.

Karen

13. KarenA

KarenA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New question: What does it mean when all your brake pump motor needs is a good thwack?

I found a local shop whose owner kindly drove my car back to his shop, and after checking out the relays and fuses, connectors, etc., he gave the brake pump motor a few good bangs while the engine was running. Problem solved.

I haven't run across that particular test in the Diagnostic Manual. I'm assuming that all I've bought myself is an undetermined, little amount of time before I lose the brake assist again. Is the obvious answer the correct one -- just replace the motor before it happens again?

Karen

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. Rukshar Ahmed Khan

Rukshar Ahmed Khan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I have a 2010 Prius in Fiji islands and have encountered C1214 error.
    Clearing the error gets the break working in electronic mode, but after an Engine stop the error pops up again.

I am told its a brake pump issue, but according to Prius Error codes, its to do with Brake rotor and master cylinder fix.

Has anyone come across the issue?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

This is a thread in the first-generation Prius (2001 to 2003) forum, so you might get a better response in the Gen 3 forum for your question about a 2010.

That said, the C1214 code indicates that the brake controller was having trouble maintaining the target hydraulic pressure while you were braking. That can happen for a variety of reasons, including leaks, faulty valves, or even just uneven pressure because of a rotor that isn't flat. If you have just replaced pads, the code can be set the first time you use the brakes, just because the pads had to travel extra far to meet the rotor the first time (which is a case where this code can come up without really indicating a problem, so no reason not to clear it).

If you have the trouble codes read with Techstream (or anything capable of reading the three-digit subcodes that go with the main code), there are eight different subcodes that can tell you more about what problem was detected. There are five pages in the repair manual (more info) explaining how to isolate the reason this code was set.

16. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The booster pump/accumulator is about an $1000 part. When mine was out (I bought the car that way) I found one in a Pick and pull type junkyard for about $25 and it served me well.

I guess if I were you, I'd be on the lookout for a pump motor, a used one will be fine. In the meantime, I'd carry a ball peen or tack hammer and wack it good if it goes out again..

17. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the Innova doesn't work for you, take it back. And buy an old Windows XP laptop, a mini VCI cable, and install the software for Techstream. It really and truly is the best scanner for the Prius. And you can scab it all together for less than $75. Mine worked amazingly well on my 02.

BTW, someone said the obd2 was 97 on, actually it's 96 and later. It was the deciding factor when I bought my Dakota (a 96.) A huge step forward in automotive diagnostics, especially with all the computers that are on autos & trucks.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Karen needed the hammer about three years ago.

19. Rukshar Ahmed Khan

Rukshar Ahmed Khan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your responses, I will try one by one and see how it goes. Will post your response as I go.

Once again thank you ChapmanF and Brian in Tucson.

20. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hazard on not starting new threads!

Luckily, you can get a hammer just about anywhere. For beating on car parts, I like an old fashioned tack hammer. Good for a gentle tap or for really beating the heck out of things.