1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I tell if I've got HID lights? 2004 Gen2.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by uart, Nov 14, 2009.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had this 2004 Gen2 prius for about 2 months and I'm still discovering things. Ok maybe I'm a bit slow but I only just noticed today that it has fog lights. :eek:

In a recent thread someone said that if a Gen2 has fog lights then it's probably also got HID headlights. Is that true?

Anyway can I tell be looking at them what type I've got. Does anyone have any links to photos showing what to look for.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US models with fog lights have HIDs. A dealer should be able to tell you how the car is equipped with the VIN.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah this is an Australia model so it might be different here. Is there any way to tell by looking at them?

Any links to photos?

4. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This highlights (pun not intended) a pet peeve of mine that should be easy to fix now... Why can't car companies give me a manual for MY car, instead of a manual for 3 different models sold with 27 different option packages etc? I'm paying enough, print me up a proper manual. I can get a model specific manual for a $12 toaster but not a car! All they would have to do is type the vin into a computer program that would create the manual for your car... print it out and burn a cdrom of it. This bugs me every time I crack open my manual and have to find the page that refers, for example, to the sound system in my car not the other possibilities.

</ rant mode>

Pantelis likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Be very glad if you don't have em, as it costs an arm & a leg to get them changed out ... no simple task, as a DIY - for the faint of heart.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Project your lights at night, against your garage door or other flat object. First look at the low beam pattern.

Then put on the high beams. If you have HID lights, the bottom of the low beam pattern will remain unchanged and the top of the pattern will jump up. This is because the HID only has one light within. A mirror moves up and down to create the high beam.

Another way to tell is that the light produced by the HID light is whiter and brighter than regular halogen headlamps.

A final way to tell is that there's a warning label near each headlamp assembly, visible when you raise the hood. The label warns about high voltage danger.

Silver Pine Mica and Dssnake like this.
  7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great info Patrick. I'll check that as soon as I get a chance and report back. :)

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep to all of these. Halogen headlights are generally a lot more orangish than HIDs. There's a big difference between HIDs and halogens.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that the Gen II Prius in Australia has never had HID lights as either standard or optional equipment (but has always had fog lights as standard equipment).

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok that would explain everything Boo. I was pretty sure that my lights weren't HID but I just started to wonder when someone said that fog lights usually means HID as well. Now we know it's just another of those regional difference things. :)

To tell the truth I'm glad I haven't got HID. I know they're more efficient but I've read so many stories of people having problems with them.

BTW. Does anyone know if any manufactures have developed an LED headlight system yet. That would be the ultimate IMHO if they could get them bright enough for the task.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, they're available on the 2010 Prius. I hear Audi has equipped some cars w/them too.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info.

Hopefully by the time I'm ready for another car they might have LED lights all around. LED's are cool, very efficient and very reliable. :D

13. Silver Pine Mica

Silver Pine Mica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This means that since my left light comes on with the high beam but is burnt out on the low beam, I definitely don't have the HID. But since on my wife's prius she has fog lamps, she therefore does have the HID. Thanks for the level of detail in your post.

14. ExMachina08

ExMachina08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a set of Plasmaglow Igniters for H4 bulbs that I used in both my T100 pickup and later my Gen 2 prius. I would avoid them like the plague! $160 a set and I had to RMA them 3 times at $10-$20 a pop for shipping/return. They were crystal clear bright white light, but LEDs just don't handle engine compartment heat well and each set would start to flicker around 6 months or so of use. They claimed that they would last 10,000 hours and they would be the last bulb I would ever buy but I would be surprised if they clocked even 1,000 hours. Autoparts warehouse finally gave me store credit instead of replacement and I switched back to stock halogens bulbs and picked up a hitch.

15. geekwithoutacause

geekwithoutacause Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The LED's give less light than the HID's usually.
    Can't beat a good HID system for light output.