1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I tell if my 2002 Prius has Side Air Bags?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by BentSpace, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought it and noticed the manual said that it may be equipped with side airbags in the front seats. It has seat covers on all the seats with no openings on the sides. Wanted to make sure if it has the side air bags or not so I know whether to take off the seat covers. Tried asking Toyota for a build sheet, but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about and were no help.

So how can they if you have them or not?

Do they look different psychically or is there some other way to tell?

Thank you.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One possible way is to look under the seats, to see what wiring is leading up to them. You would expect to see more wiring where the seat has a side airbag installed. Usually the SRS wiring will have bright plastic armor around the wiring, perhaps yellow in color or some other distinctive color.

If the seats do not have side airbags, then the driver's side seat won't have any wiring while the passenger's side seat will have only one wiring harness connector for the pressure switch that shows if the seat is occupied.

1 person likes this.
  3. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The driver's seat only has one wire connector attached to the bottom of the seat which has 3 wires in it and black armor, but it doesn't go into the seat, it heads off towards the seatbelt, probably for the seatbelt warning light, right?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are right, the seat belt buckle on both sides also will have a switch that requires a wiring harness.

1 person likes this.
  5. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Actually its quite simple, look at the side of the seat where the recliner is on either driver or passenger. It should have a colour matched grey sticker that says SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM. If you do not see it on either seat, you do not have side airbags. I know because my Prius was one of those few that did! Lucky me!

1 person likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Note the OP's car has seat covers. He was looking for a way to determine presence or absence of the side airbags without having to remove those covers.

7. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Actually the sticker that says "SRS Side Airbag" can be found right where I have the arrow. It is just beside the handle that reclines the seat, right on that plastic panel. There is nothing to remove. This particular picture does not have the sticker, but I assure you, my car does. I will take a picture if I can later for you.

Attached Files:

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I'd like to see that. I recall that my 2001 which had side air bags had a cloth label tag sewn into the seam on the seat back, facing the doorway.