1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can I tell if my 2009 Pkg 5 Prius Has Synthetic Oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sogirl, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Sogirl

Sogirl iDrive

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a pre-loved 2009 Prius, from a local Toyota dealership. How can I tell if the car already has been using Synthetic Oil? Should I just call the Auto Mechanic listed on the CarFAX that did all the oil changes for the past 3 years? The oil/filter was changed every 8000 miles based on the CarFAX. Is that a normal range to change the oil on a Prius?

Since I have prepaid oil changes, unlimited till 2016; should I just go to my local Toyota dealer & request an oil change with Synthetic Oil?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    8,000 miles indicates synthetic oil, or poor maintenance practice on conventional oil. Call that auto mechanic.

Pre-paid maintenance plans are usually not worth it. You show up for your already-paid-for oil change, and they will always try to get you to have a fuel injector cleaning etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sogirl

Sogirl iDrive

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't have to pay for the maintenance plan, They charged zero for it & I got the Prius for 15K; nearly 5k below kbb. I am really happy with the car, as it came with every feature I wanted (pkg 5) & it already had the full rear window dark tint. I called the mechanic & turns out the car has had synthetic since day 1. Additionally he was able to fax me a service printout, which showed all the regular additional maintenance & every 30k transmission fluid change. He is a local mechanic, and is trying to get me to bring "Sogirl" back to him for her regular repairs. I think I lucked out with this little jem, or this poor economy has dealerships just giving away the store to make a deal!

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What Toyota dealer? Oakland Toyota are a bunch of crooks and Toyota One is just inept. I assume the car has high mileage because in the SF Bay Area no dealer will give you a good deal on a Prius. Did you catch them on a rainy day when the boss was out sick?

But, it does look as if it was babied by the first owner.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Was that Art's Automotive that serviced the car? Regardless, having trans fluid changed at 30K is a very progressive practice and shows that the mechanic shop knows their stuff. I highly recommend skipping the dealer entirely -- there is no such thing as a free lunch -- and maintaining the relationship with this shop.

6. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A