1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can pulse and glide be bad for engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by okiebutnotfrommuskogee, Jan 9, 2008.

1. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few minutes ago a junior member made a statement that pulse and glide was "very damaging to the engine". Can someone familiar with the workings of the Prius tell me how that is possible.

I use pulse and glide when traffic allows and have a lot of fun doing it. When gliding, the engine is not running. How can that be hard on it? What about the planetary drive and the motor/generators?

I have done quite a bit of studying about the system during the last year and can't see that there is a problem.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not bad for the engine in any way. Perhaps said junior member would like to attempt to justify his/her claim.

3. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Evan, You are just the one that I hoped would respond. You said exactly what I wanted to hear.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The claim probably comes from the traditional view that starting is hard on engines. Obviously, the Prius doesn't start its engine conventionally, as it starts and stops all the time on its own. Pulse and glide only exaggerates what the Prius tries to do on its own.

Tom

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The only streatch I can imagine the newbie meant might be in reference to pollution ... again, being quite a streatch, and really only applying to PHEV's. Here goes, as I've heard the concern: If the car is hardly running, then it doesn't warm up enough to adequately burn off pollution particles. The theory also brings up concern about lubrication ... where the thought is, if the ICE isn't running, then it must not be getting enough lubrication, which must cause pre mature wear. It's not really a P & G concern. It's more related to running with more EV power.

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you ask that of the junior member? I'd be curious to see the response.

7. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe what the junior poster was suggesting was the old axiom that engines incur 90% of their wear in the first 5 minutes of operation.

In the old days this was somewhat true in the old days. In the old days, cold starts needed a rich mixture (choke) to start a cold engine, causing potential for oil dilution as well as other problems. In a cold engine the internal parts (pistons, rings, bearing etc) need to warm up to expand to their design sizes to seal and properly.

The Prius is very different. First, with modern fuel injection the amount of enrichment needed for cold starts is reduced, but more importantly, because of the way the Prius holds the heat in the coolant, it is not really "cold starting" each time it starts. As an engine spins, it really doesn't care whether it is burning fuel to turn or just being dragged along by the wheels to turn.
    In the case of the Prius, above 41 mph, the engine is just spinning along for the ride if no gas is needed. Most cars burn a bit even coming down a long hill with the throttle totally closed.

Perhaps this clears up a bit of misconception,

Icarus

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks! I searched around for it quickly during my lunch break but couldn't find it. Meanwhile, Evan beat me to it.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think it was Consumer Reports, that posted on the net their continuing reliability study. In it they stated the Prius was the "most reliable family car".

That doesn't help you, of course, but mechanical/electronic contrivances DO fail. So relax, let the warranty handle it, and be assured it will probably not fail you again, once they fix it. What you ended up with is called "infantile failure". The most failures occur early or not at all until the unit is very old.