1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Can We Help Darfur?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry Tony but locking db's topic smacks of censorship. Why can someone not ask for an opinion?
    Is it because his POV is different? <_<

I would like to draw your attention to this post in which he solicited opinions and some good comments were made and an interesting discussion was had by all. I think you should rethink your position.

http://priuschat.com/Is-Hate-Speech-Protec...ech-t26972.html

Wildkow

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That thread is not locked Kow, if you're refering to some other thread or a specific post you need to state so. Further, and we've covered this before, this is not the place to air you dirty laundry or rail against the mods....if you have an opinion or disagree with a decision send us a PM and we'll be glad to address it with you.

You get one post to clarify your issues and post something topic worthy or this post will be deleted...aka censored.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Locking a thread is not censorship. The thread is still there to be read. Banning a poster would be censorship. And considering how much untruth the person in question has posted without ever being censored, I'd say our moderators are permissive to a fault.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm an admin on another board. We pride ourselves on what we consider to be an uncensored board. But half the threads here would have been locked on our board because ugliness isn't productive in an online community (or an offline community, for that matter), and lies are NOT "free speech".

To accuse the admins here of censorship is laughable.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 2 2006, 06:12 AM) [snapback]356638[/snapback]</div>
    This is the thread in question: "How Can We Help Darfur?" It is still locked.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how is it censorship when the author does not offer his own opinion?

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Censorship is the control of the information and ideas circulated within a society/group.

Wildkow

p.s. Sorry Evan, I disagree with you and most editors of media would disagree with you also. This is exactly where this type of discussion should take place. The last time this happened I think you and Tony handled it poorly, as pointed out by another person on another board.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Dec 2 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]356698[/snapback]</div>
    It is censorship because db has offered a point for discussion and that has been prevented by the locking of the topic.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 2 2006, 06:37 AM) [snapback]356652[/snapback]</div>
    Accusations without reference are also laughable. Care to produce half of the threads your speaking about? ;)

Wildkow

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

9. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 2 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]356747[/snapback]</div>

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

While irritatiing, I don't see what is so all fired wrong with the way Db starts his posts. Is this a new rule????????

Fact of the matter is, by starting them that way w/o stating your own opinion, you are reducing the possibility of flaming AND a person can easily ignore the thread.

BTW, Any opinions on hypermiling???? oops, might get this thread locked.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't be sorry, Kow, it's so unbecoming.
    There are literally hundreds of intellectually stimulating threads started by people who state a position and provide very well-thought-out opinions and/or resources to back it.

And I did not censor him. If I remember correctly, I offered to post - verbatim - exactly what he sends me via PM. His position can be pro support or opposed to it. I don't care. I can only assume that it will be a doozy because he's been working on it for many days and I am still awaiting that PM.

Additionally, when I suspend a member, I am suspending approximately 0.000005.6% of the forum. When I close a thread, I am closing approximately 0.0000003% of all threads. On a privately owned forum, that's called moderating. You don't have to like it. In fact, you don't have to continuously come back. You choose to come to Priuschat after we have repeatedly covered this ground publicly and in private exchanges.

And finally, I do not believe the United States (at least the current administration) will do anything massive regarding Darfur because, frankly, they have no natural resources that we can use. I feel that the current administration will not spend time, effort, or money in any area of the world in which we will receive nothing in return. Interventions purely for the sake of humanitarian concerns do not keep our cars running, our houses warm, or food on our tables. Can we help Darfur: Yes. Will we: Nope.

12. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, how do we help them?? Whats the problem here? what did i miss? seems like a great question, whats the problem? or what becomes the problem when trying to address this question?? I swear I'm missing something here, BUT, I guess I ain't smart enough to figure out what I"M MISSING...... SO, can someone explain? Is this some kind of "politically correct issues? that someone afraid of stepping on someones toes??

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norman H. Renehan @ Dec 2 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]356884[/snapback]</div>
    You are missing an exchange between different POV's. Some disagree or are not exactly the same as the majority on this board thus we get posts that are locked or something to the effect of StevO's. My two cents.

Wildkow

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Typical reply, laughable and specious at best. Now show me some posts of mine that are worse than this one you just posted. The ones I have posted and not apologized for are replies in kind or just different POV's. When I got kicked the last time I also asked for this and got no reply.

Wildkow

15. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think that the mods let people post way too much by way of personal attacks and nastiness, here.

It doesn't really matter if you call it "censorship" with the attempt to connote a deprivation of rights. As Tony pointed out, whatever "should" happen on a BBS, according to you, isn't relevant. What happens is that the person owning the board deletes what he doesn't want there.

If that means you're going away, Wildkow, well, that's your choice. Or, I suppose, you can stay here and bleat about it. Which is what you'll do, right. If you do stay, please do refrain from slinging invective like an 8th grade debate teamer. Argue something relevant and I'll startle in my chair, and pay attention.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zapranoth @ Dec 3 2006, 12:30 AM) [snapback]356905[/snapback]</div>
    Please supply some of my invective and I'll try not to address you in like manner, otherwise I have no idea what you are talking about. Oh BTW I only ask that you do the same to me, unless you want to bleat somemore about my invective posts that no one seems able to produce. B)

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 2 2006, 06:29 AM) [snapback]356646[/snapback]</div>
    What is it then?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Dec 2 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]356806[/snapback]</div>
    I see, why the special attention and what is so egregious about someone asking a question or for someone’s opinion? You stated

that you have tried prior to this to make him conform to your rules for posting. Did he actually break a rule; did you provide warning that asking for opinions on PriusChat is not allowed? Please post one if you did. Finally just because db’s post represents only a small fraction of the total posts on this board how does that not make it censorship? I know that this is a private board but how about a level playing field for all? Unless that seem fair to you?

Wildkow

p.s. Schmika I agree amonst 100% with you except I don't find it irritatiing. Is his post not the same thing that happens almost everytime someone starts a poll?

17. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    *snoozes peacefully in his chair* ...

18. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 3 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]356904[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I was confusing you with Sufferin Prius Envy; I do apologize.

Of course, since all neocons tend to be the same ("Bush did something indefensibly evil again? HEY LOOK THE GUY WHO RAN FOR PRESIDENT TWO YEARS AGO!"), I think I can be forgiven...

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 2 2006, 06:12 AM) [snapback]356638[/snapback]</div>
    I'd heed the warning if I were you Wildkow.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norman H. Renehan @ Dec 2 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]356884[/snapback]</div>
    It's not because of the question about Darfur that the thread was locked. It's because of the tactics of the OP of that thread, in repeatedly posting questions, then refusing to answer his own questions, and instead attack others for their answers. It's easy to attack someone else's point of view when you refuse to reveal your own. All he has to do is answer his own question, and the thread will be re-opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.