1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How can you tell if the 2016 Prius has factory tint... VIN number?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by tomnmeg, Mar 26, 2016.

1. tomnmeg

tomnmeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    We bought a 2016 Prius 4 touring. It was a dealer trade out of San Diego to Arizona. The Toyota dealer salesman told me he would give me the tint at dealer cost ($195.00) So, I said okay. How do I find out if the tint was already installed by the manufacture? I don't mean to sound like I got taken for an additional $195.00. BUT, is there any way of finding out if the tint was factory installed? I don't see it on the sticker, and there's no other reference to it.

2. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At least in my lower-in-the-Prius-food-chain Two ECO, the side windows already have tint in them, i.e., tinted glass is used. It's easily visible when the windows are rolled part way down. I assume the hatch windows are likewise lightly tinted, and the windshield glass may be partially tinted too. When ADDITIONAL tint is installed later, it is a sheet of adhesive material fastened to the glass. You can usually feel a plastic edge at the top inside surface of the side windows when they are partway down.

BearInStPete likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The tint is added by the dealer or port of entry. For Southeast Toyota this is done in Jacksonville, FL.

4. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I rechecked my 2 ECO and the glass in the side windows is definitely tinted (i.e., the surroundings are darker when viewed through them as opposed to looking thorough the gap above them when they are partially lowered). And definitely no sheet of tint has been applied to the glass. I didn't pay for tinting when I bought it.

Are you suggesting that somewhere along the line clear glass was replaced by tinted, or that sometimes the dealer/port of entry applies additional tint? Please clarify.

5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The Two ECO is supposed to come with the window tinting to keep the interior heat down. Since the inside is darker with the tinting, the inside is cooler and the A/C doesn't have to run as often and as strong. This is one reason why the Two ECO gets better gas mileage than the rest of the Prii.

I can't find it on the toyota website, but I know that I've seen this information before on another website.

6. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My understanding was that on the 2 ECO Toyota added IR blocking to the windshield only. I had IR blocking film added to the rear hatch windows. The stuff I got blocks >90% of IR but passes 70% of visible light, so you can hardly see it.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  7. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you mean UV, not IR. The tinting Toyota added to the windows and windshield probably were very mild and not very noticeable.

8. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I meant IR (infared). IR penetrating the windows is absorbed by and heats the interior surfaces of the car, increasing the load on the AC. An IR blocker in or on the glass absorbs the IR, which heats the blocker and thence the window. Some of that heat will be absorbed by the air in the car, and some will be reradiated, perhaps 50% of that outwards. In a perfect world, the IR blocker would be on the OUTSIDE surface of the glass.

UV (ultraviolet) comes in various flavors. In terms of light coming from the sun, the only UV which gets through the earth's atmosphere is UVA (315-410nm wavelength) and some UVB. It's more of a worry for fading and sunburn than heating.

Both IR and UV are invisible to most humans. The visible spectrum lies between UVA and IR. In-glass tints and tinting films vary in the mix of wavelengths they absorb or reflect. But none of them can absorb only one band of light (interference filters are more selective but are not used in auto glass tinting). So if you want to block say IR you will also get some blocking of visible light, which is why we can see the tinting. And maybe we want the smoked-glass look.

As I said, the factory in-glass tint is easily visible if you roll down the windows partially. I agree that if you are just driving it is not very noticeable, partly because your eyes have no way to know how bright it actually is outside the car.

I'm still wondering if the OP's car actually has tinting film applied to the windows, or if the dealer just charged him $195 for nothing. And if all the 2016 Priuses have side window in-glass tinting, or whether just the 2 ECO gets it.

tomnmeg likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All cars from the factory have some degree of tinting in the glass. On the other hand, any dealership talk about tinting I'm pretty sure would involve aftermarket tinting film, a whole different concept. Personally I would never use the latter, but a lot of people like it. The big downside from my perspective: it is obviously aftermarket, can be scratched, and will deteriorate over time.

10. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    The aftermarket tint I got from Formulaone comes with a lifetime, transferable warranty. If you by junk, you get junk.

11. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mixed feelings about tint here. It has its uses (can reduce heat into the car, add mechanical protection). But I like to see my surroundings, so only a moderate level of tinting in the visible range for me, thanks. If it's too bright I'll wear sunglasses.

States have regulations about permissible levels of tint. It's worth considering that the % transmission restrictions apply to the TOTAL level of tint (factory in-glass plus aftermarket applied films) because they measure tint level by passing a beam of light through the window, a measurement which cannot separate in-glass tint from applied films. Tinters tend to talk about only the % transmission of the film they are applying and ignore any in-glass tint.

Incidentally, in Central America most cars have heavy tint on ALL windows, including windshield. I guess it's so nobody outside can see who is in the vehicle? The sun is not extremely bright there, so it's not needed for that. A friend bought a used Kia Sportage in Guatemala, and the seller had put dark tint everywhere. It was like sitting in a closet. We took it off, and had no problems with robbery or whatever.

12. tomnmeg

tomnmeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Okay, well thank you... Dealer cost on tinting is $400.00. I looked at the side windows, they are definitely tinted. You can see and feel the edge of the tint. Both AZ and CA have the same exact tint laws. 35% Thank you all for chiming in! :)