1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How come you can't get a custom built?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by mmb5, Jul 25, 2006.

1. mmb5

mmb5 New Member

First post here. If this is answered elsewhere, I apologize.

I have just crossed the four month mark waiting for my Prius here in Ann Arbor, MI. I called today and I'm apparently #6, which still may not get me a car in the next shipment because they get certain colors and types in their lots and it may not match what I had wanted.

My question is, how come these aren't custom ordered like other companies? When I worked at a Mazda factory in college, each car on the line was a specific order placed at a dealership. Seems like a more efficient model to me.

--Mike

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Because if they let you custom order, then you could order the base level model without all of the high profit package options. The way it is now, since demand is high, either the buyers have to settle for a more loaded than they wanted car, or the cheapskates get filtered out and all of the cars go to the buyers who wanted the higher package options. More money for Toyota, more money for the dealers.

Customized ordering only makes sense for a manufactuer when demand is low. As long as they can sell any Prius they build, why should they waste their time on the lower profit versions.

As near as I can tell, they don't actually make the base level model. It appears to exist only so they can advertise a lower base price.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    By "base model," do you mean Package #1?

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. What Marlin said.

I should also add, Mike, that you almost certainly could find a Prius faster than you will get the one you have "on order." If you're willing to shop around and maybe go a little out of your way, you'd be surprised what other dealers have. On the other hand, if you're content to wait, that works, too. We waited a month and a half back in September/early October and were fairly content to wait. On the other hand, if I had known then what I know now (about availability at other dealerships), we might have shopped around a bit.

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 25 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]292026[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that is what I mean. Has anyone actually seen a Package #1?

EDIT:
    Actually, maybe I don't mean Package #1. If I look on the Toyota site, I see that Package #1 for the 2006 is the side curtain airbags. Package #2 is the radio with the aux jack and MP3 CD player, but apparently not the side curtain airbags. Package #3 is a combination of #1 and #2.

So, that implies to me, that the "base model" for which $21,725 is MSRP, must be without any package. Otherwise, if package #1 was the "base model", then package #2 apparently subtracts the side curtain airbags from the "base model".

Anyhow, back to my original point. I don't think the base model actually exists. At the very least, they probably have never built one. In fact, I suspect that package #1 and package #2 don't actually exist.

When I do the "Build and Price your Prius" on the Toyota site for my zip code, I only get the choice of Packages #3, #6, #7, and #8.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In January 2005 I rented one for 2 weeks. When I got my #6 package, I had absolutely no clue as to how the SKS worked. At first I thought you pushed the little black button to unlock. :p

When I was after one in early 2005 I found that in So Cal only #1 (base), #3 (middle) and #6 (highest) were available. That being said, the most you saw was the #6.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think it's more efficient for the manufacturer to offer less models and options, while seeking to meet differing regulations in different countries. Custom ordering from the buyer's point of view would be wonderful, but would slow down the production line, and more parts would have to be kept on hand. In Canada in 2004, only models 'A' and 'B' were offered, though I think 'A' has more stuff than the US 'Package 1'.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think it's the US ordering system.

In Canada, we just go to the dealer and "order" the package and colour we want, then it gets built and shipped. In the US, it seems like you give the dealer the combination you want and wait for the next one to arrive (assuming no one has the same combo as you higher up on the waiting list).

It also seems that the rest of the world has 2 models (Germany, Australia), at most 3 (Canada, UK) which makes it easier for us to order while the US gets up to 10 model choices (Pkg "0" to Pkg "9" in 2004)