1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How did you "BREAK IN" your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OUscarb, Dec 15, 2005.

1. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

A week til my Prius is here, and.....

I'm just curious? I searched for topics but found none. What is the "preferred method of "Breaking In" a new Prius. I know the idea on regular cars, but since the "ICE" on a prius dosen't run all the time, should the tecnique of breaking it in differ?

1: Should you drive pretty hard from the get-go?

2: Should you drive moderately, while nailing it a few times to air it out?

3: Should you baby it, and don't worry about the ICE?

I don't want a poll, I want to know how new Prius owners attacked their new cars.

I always understood, if you baby a car, it will drive doggish for ever, but if you get on it, it will be a spunkier car.

How did "You" break it in. :rolleyes:

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I'm not really sure you need to do anything special for the Prius. These days, most cars don't really need any particular type of breaking in. The only thing the manuals recommend is to simply vary your driving, in other words, don't pick up your car and then drive 1000 miles on the interstate at the same speed. A normal mix of city and highway driving is all that is necessary.

3. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove it normally for the most part. Never really stomped on the "gas" until after 1000 miles.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Drive it just like any other car.

5. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For the first 1000 miles, I avoided going more than 65 mph, and varied the speed with the cruise control when I was on the highway. I avoided jack rabbit starts. I don't know if that all counts as babying?

6. wstander

wstander New Member

My first 2000 miles, I avoided going more than 60 mph, and avoided the cruise control until I was on the highway. No hard 'to the floor' starts, and was easy on the brakes. I also varied the speed but did not 'speed' o rcorner very fast.

Oh, and verify the tire pressures even from day one from the dealer; whether you stay with the factory numbers or increase them as I and some have done, I noted right away that the dealer=delivered pressures were wrong. (thanks to this forum for that 'heads-up')

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Back then, I heard that driving it for a few hours burned off some shipping-protection gunk on exhaust parts that might trigger a warning light, so when I picked it up I drove about 160 miles at 65-70MPH. No problems.

Must be they don't use that much gunk now, because the old stories don't come up anymore...

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was laying in wait for someone to say that just so I could 'pounce'! :ph34r:

I think that's just throwback to old style cars. I think that unless you're on an absolutely flat road at an absolutely fixed RPM that changing speeds in the Prius is kinda silly. The way the "eCVT"/HSD works will cause pretty huge swings in Engine RPM during a normal drive anyway. I think it's sorta part of the owner's manual that's just copied and pasted as standard fare into every car Toyota makes as a matter of course.

As always, I'm ready to be corrected on this point, but it just didn't make much sense to me this speed variation thing with Prius.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

bought the car and drove down to the Trans Canada Hiway and took it up to 114Km. set the cruise control and 2 1/2 days and 1830Km later I was home. Just drive it, even at 114 km per hour the ICE will go from 1340 RPM to approx 3000 RPM depending on the road conditions. Car uses no oil in the 8000km intervals between changes.

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, the CVT does make the Prius the exception to the cruise control rule, but it's still good to do with other cars.

11. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

The owners manual says what to do. I don't have it in front of me but I think it was first 500 miles don't drive hard and no jackrabbit starts. Also don't break hard (unless of course you have to).

12. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very controversial subject:
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    I can say this: the one new car (Honda Civic) that I bought new and drove it ~500 highway miles right after I left the dealership, and 2 other engines I rebuilt and pampered them for the first 1000 miles or more- NONE of them ever had decent compression and used oil. All 3 engines always had more blowby than they should have. I'm going to try the link above on the rebuild I'm doing right now. Seeing as I'm batting 0 for 3, I figure I can't lose trying something different this time. :blink:

13. huh

huh New Member

Per aka's post:

It does say no hard acceleration and hard breaking the first 600 miles. It also mentions no driving at high speeds. What does Toyota consider high speed?

The dealer had told me don't drive it over 80mph the first 1000 miles and that was it.

Traditionally, I was told to vary the RPMs on a new car. I kinda did that for the first 200 miles but then stopped doing it thinking that I didn't need to do it for a CVT.

I'm at 550 and basically just drove it 65-73 mph on the freeways.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My first drive was from Carson to Irvine and then from Irvine to San Diego the next day. I don't remember if I used the cruise control or not, but the normal traffic kept me from going at a constant speed at any rate. :)

15. bigtex

bigtex New Member

I bought it in Moses Lake, Washington as I found one available in my color and package 04' silver #6. Just back in the country and setting up for my family's coming arrival I found a number on these boards. After 500$ CC deposit, My pops and I flew out there from Austin and drove it back to Texas on a winding tour of the West. We hit several national parks and historical points. Think it was around 3800 miles before all was said and done. I loved the green leaf & MPG battles that I had with my dad, though nothing touched the 30 minutes descent from the Grand Canyon o the North side, Alt 89 East. Nothing but coast . Great times and a neat chance do hang with you father for a week and a half. Pruis made it all the better in many ways. I averaged 55 mpg, adding 6 fills of gas plus the one from the dealer.

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My dealership told me to "just drive the car", but to not go crazy. They did say that if I needed to punch it to get onto the freeway to do it.

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    meh. i just drove it. dh took it out and played with it a couple times, i'm sure he hit 85+ on the highway. i still get good mileage, don't burn oil, etc. 'course, we only have 8500 miles on the odo.

18. justinc

justinc New Member

I'm still breaking it in...odometer just passed 200miles. I have not gone over 68mph, and do both highway and local driving.

19. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my dealer was very specific....i also read it in the manual..........i was told to sorta baby the car for the 1st 1000 miles for the break in period..........meaning=no jack rabbit starts, no hard breaking, and (the hardest) no using the cruise control! it was hard to do .....but its finally over & now i'm able to "drive it like a pri!" i'm now at 1700 miles & still going strong! :) :D

20. Mojo40

Mojo40 New Member

Still trying to talk the wife into helping me "Break in" the Prius. Best I got was first base.