1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How did you "spend" your Daylight "Savings" time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Nov 4, 2007.

?
  1. I stayed up an extra hour.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I got an extra hour's sleep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I stayed up and then I slept in.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I still say Daylight Switching time is stupid as it saves nothing.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not exactly sure how I spent it.

Growing up in a part of the country that didn't switch, I'm still thrown off by the whole thing. So I'm not sure if I slept in this morning even though the clock said I got up on time or if I'm staying up late tonight even though the clock will say that I'm going to bed early.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 4 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]534629[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent it working an extra hour...and man did it make the night long.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 4 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]534711[/snapback]</div>
    Did they pay you for the extra hour?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 4 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]534752[/snapback]</div>
    No extra pay...but then they don't short me when I work the short shift of DST either.

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 4 2007, 03:29 PM) [snapback]534629[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love it, I get more time swimming in my pool in the daylight on hot evenings. I head to work before the temperature hits 35C and come home before I'm sick of the heat.
    Anyone who can't see the advantage should try going outside more in summer, particularly summer evenings.

9. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sunday morning, I enjoyed that all too rare commodity, sleep.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 5 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]534857[/snapback]</div>
    Me too. I wish we had it all year round.

A one hour earlier sunrise never did much for me (because I'm either sleeping, or going to or at school or work).

But a one hour later sunset? Wow. In winter, it means being able to leave school or work while there's still some daylight left. And in summer, it makes some magical summer evenings possible ... playing full matches of tennis, playing full games of softball, having a picnic dinner in the park, going for a long dip in the pool, going to the beach for a swim, dinner and sunset. As Bruce once sang, "Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun ... Oh but mama that's where the fun is ..."

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but between 01:00 and 02:00 I was twice as productive.

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Teaching my students about the history, rationale and quantitative measurement of daylight saving time, the origin of DST by William Willett, and how DST shifts apparent sunrise and sunset. Wikipedia has a great 365-day graph that shows the one-hour shift in April and shift back in early November. Russia, with 11 time zones, is on permanent daylight saving time year-round (primarily because of the high latitude).

Most countries that straddle the equator do not observe DST because every day has 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark. DST is primarily a northern hemisphere phenomenon. Not enough people or land to be of concern in the southern hemisphere.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Nov 5 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]534888[/snapback]</div>
    The problem with all Daylight Savings all year round is that children walk to school in the dark for quite a few months.

Of course the solution is for school to start later. Which it should.

Studies have been done that show middle and high school students' brains don't really start to function until about 10 am so for them school should start LATER not earlier. Yet we've got these kids starting school between 7am and 7:30 am. That's about three hours of brain dead before cognitive functions are working. Half the day.

You want to instantly raise test scores in the U.S. Start middle and high school at 9:30 am.

Of course this only works if parents are not using school as free daycare.

And daylight savings still sucks.

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 5 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]535207[/snapback]</div>
    Why do you think so?

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How about this as a solution:

EVERY night, we set the clocks back an hour. That way we could sleep an hour longer every night. True, we'd have to give up all our prejudices about day and night, but wouldn't it be worth it to get an extra hour's sleep every night? And once we've given up those silly ideas about day and night, there'd no longer be any reason to insist on keeping the calendar in sync with the equinoxes, and we could just have a year be 12 months of 28 days each, or whatever other arrangement we decide we like. :)

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ 2007 11 06 07:44) [snapback]535498[/snapback]</div>
    I vote for 13 months, and an extra day off for new year's celebrations.

17. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 5 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]535207[/snapback]</div>
    I don't hate daylights savings time, I hate changing time twice a year. I prefer to have daylight shifted to the evening instead of the morning so I would like to have CST+1 all year. I see extra daylight in the morning as a waste as I only use it drive to work. If we stayed on +1 time in the winter I would still have about an hour of light after I get home from work.

I don't see a safety problem with kids starting school in the dark. Here in Birmingham, AL kids do not walk to school. Kids are either dropped off at school by their parents or picked up by buses. The kids that ride the bus don't walk to a central bus stop for a city block or subdivision but instead the bus goes house to house picking up individual kids! It drives me crazy to be behind a bus that will literally pick up a kid, drive two driveways and pick up another kid.

I agree with you that school should start later in the day. However, as you mentioned, school is used as daycare for kids. It is much easier to be sure the kids get to school if they go to school at the same time the parent goes to work.

I am also a strong believer in year-around school. I my mother is a teacher and the first marking period of each year is spend reteaching last year's topics. It makes no sense to have children suspend learning for a 3 month block every year.

BTW, I didn't get my extra hour this year. I traveled from the CST to EST and as such lost an hour. Then we "fell back" for daylight savings so I gained an hour. The net effect, Zero.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Nov 6 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]535939[/snapback]</div>
    I believe this is a throwback to when most people lived on farms and the children were needed to help with field work in the summer.

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adelaide has half an hour of daylight saving through winter and one and a half hours in winter.

Are you joking about kids starting school at 7.30AM? Here school kicks off at about 8.45AM and wraps up around 3.00 to 3.30PM depending on the school.

School terms are 10 weeks each with 2 weeks holiday 3 times a year then a summer break from 1 to 2 week before Christmas until the first Monday in February, around 6 or 7 weeks. There are 4 terms per year.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 7 2007, 01:48 AM) [snapback]536036[/snapback]</div>
    Here we are discussing the merits of how adding or subtracting an hour or so messes with peoples' minds . . .

You people went way overboard and added or subtracted half a freakin' year!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What do you people do, flock your Christmas trees with sand? :lol:

Having spent a Christmas down-under, it felt, well, weird . . . but extremely fun. ;)