1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Do I Connect to Stock Speakers to AMP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ScubaX, Jul 29, 2005.

1. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the best method to get the speaker inputs from the doors to a new amp I will install under the passenger seat? Should I replace the speaker wires or is there an acceptable method to splice speaker wire and not lose quality. This is a non-jbl system.

What kind of connectors for the speaker wires are on the HU and speakers?

Thanks

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Whenever posting audio questions, make sure you specify whether you have the JBL or non-JBL system. They speakers are wired differently between the systems.

I assume you have the non-JBL so I can't help you with the wiring. As far as splicing wires the best approach is soldering: shave off the insulation, separate the factory wires in half, put the new wire in the middle and twist together, and solder together. Then cover with electrical tape. Soldering can be tricky though so this might not be the best approach if you don't have experience with it.

There are also wire connectors available at home depot or radio shack that dig a metal piece through the insulation and around the wire. I find those not totally reliable, and bulkier than soldering, but a lot easier and quicker to use.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bi-line under the heading stated non-jbl adding an AMP. Since this is speaker wire, I would not want to use a vampire crimp. While I can solder, I am leaning towards leaving the stock wire and running a new wire set for the amp/speakers. I have not replaced a stereo myself in probably twenty years so I was wondering if the connections have changed.

4. bobc

bobc New Member

If I was to do it again, I would use the existing wiring.

The best way of wiring this up with the amp under the seat is to run the speaker wires from the amp back up to behind the head in the dash and tap into the existing speaker wires there.

Not much has changed that once you pull the head out, it'll all look familiar except that there's more wires...

5. kimseongjae

kimseongjae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not as simple as just splicing the wires in. Depending on which year, the Prius comes with a preset setting to enhance front dash and door speakers. Meaning its louder up front than the rear and the fader control does not help. So, if you just add an amp to the existing speakers, you will just enhance the existing condition with no balanced sound. You must erase the OEM head setting by using a line out adapter in between the speakers and the amp. One of the best one is from Audio Control LC2, 6 or 7i. This is the easiest way to add an amp wo. going into the head unit.