1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I differentiate used Prius 2010-2011 models through VIN?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RxGATOR, Oct 28, 2012.

1. RxGATOR

RxGATOR Go Gators!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all! I'm new to this forum and in search of a Pruis!! This is all new to me. I have tried searching but unsuccessfully have not found an answer yet.

Is there a way to tell which model the Prius by looking at the VIN? For instance model II, III, IV, etc.
    Some websites say there are models I-IV and then when I go to toyota.com the new models start off at II and end with V. This is causing a lot of confusion when I'm looking online for a used car, especially off of craigslist. haha.

2. seckwielen

seckwielen Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    RxGATOR likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think there's a way to tell the model/trim level from the VIN.

These may help though:
    Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota - the prices are very old, ignore them. The rest is right.
    Prius I, and Other News | PriusChat (Prius I/One (in model year '11+ parlance) is supposed to be fleet only)
    MY11 Prius | PriusChat
    More on USB/Safety Connect | PriusChat - see posts by Prius Team. This is only of concern re: early 2010 Priuses that could be missing these.

The 17" wheels on the Prius V (not the v wagon)/Five look very different from those on the lower trims.

BTW, the user "Prius Team" is the real deal. They're folks in Toyota USA Prius marketing. Some of us (including myself) have personally met one or both people who are behind that account.

RxGATOR likes this.
  4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And in case you didn't know, for ONLY 2010 Roman Numerals were used for model designation. Starting 2011 on it is spelled out numbers like two, three etc. And the Prius v, station wagon, uses a lowercase v NOT an uppercase V. The uppercase V is used to denote a 2010 Prius V (model V). Whew, they (Toyota) sure caused confusion with all that...

5. RxGATOR

RxGATOR Go Gators!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys for all your help! Wow, I would of never knew unless I did intensive researching, "ain't no body got time fo dat"