1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Do I File To Get The 2005 Tax Benefit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sid, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Sid

Sid New Member

I've been away from the forums for a while so I apologise if this has been covered:
    What do I need to do/submit to prove that I'm elligible for the 2005 tax credit for purchase of a Prius?
    I bought mine in 2005.

TIA :)

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Few things to note here:

It is not a credit, it is a deduction. You will not get $2000 in your pocket. Based on your tax bracket, you will get somewhere around $600 +/- 100 roughly.

You ask for it when you file your 2005 income tax forms. I used turbotax, so not sure where it landed exactly on my form, suppose it is Schedule A -- Itemized Deductions where it gets filled in.

You don't turn in anything except for the tax forms. In case you are audited, have a copy of the receipt on hand showing the date that you purchased the car. You also need to claim that you are the original owner, and use it for personal, not business, reasons.

3. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check this out...it shows you how to deduct:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_afv.shtml

4. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Using Taxcut software mine is equating to $500.00

5. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

if you use turbotax, just do a search for 'hybrid vehicle' - it will plug the info in for you - no documentation required afaik...

i bought two hybrids this year & it allowed me to take a $4000 deduction (not credit... see above... BIG difference) - turbotax asked me for the type of car i purchased - i put in prius, then it asked me how many i purchased... i said two, yet it didn't ask me for make & model on the second vehicle (?) - not sure what's up w/ that.

6. Sid

Sid New Member

Thanks everyone! I realize it's a deduction, not a credit, some how I forgot the correct terminology. :rolleyes: