1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how do I hook up my iPod?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 07indurham, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 07indurham

07indurham Junior Member

Hi!
    I just bought my new 07 Prius package #2 on saturday - yay! It has the auxiliary audio thing in the armrest. I was under the impression that I would be able to just plug in my iPod and listen through the speakers. Is there some special cord I need? I've looked at the posts about the DICE thing - is there a less expensive option? This doesn't seem to be covered in the owner's manual. I really appreciate any advice! Thanks!

ps - I hate to sound like an idiot, but I'm totally green with my Prius - i'm still getting used to just turning it on with the smart key!

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(07idurham @ Jan 29 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]382443[/snapback]</div>
    Any aux cable will do it. You can pick one up for cheap at radio shack. Just make sure the plugs at ends of the cord you buy are the same size as the one at the end of your ipod headphone cord. Under $6. This doesn't let you do anything fancy like navigate your ipod off the MFD -- You still have to select your tunes off the actual ipod with this method. (Sorry if that's stating the obvious -- no insult intended).

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The only thing to add is that if you install a DICE or VAIS, you can control the iPod via the MFD and the steering wheel buttons. If that isn't important, then what MegansPrius said is true.

EDIT: If I had read MegansPrius post more carefully, I wouldn't have responded. Ah well. :D

4. fbacher

fbacher Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(07idurham @ Jan 29 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]382443[/snapback]</div>
    An AUX cable will work, but then you have to mess with the iPod volume control. You really want a line-out from the iPod and you need a special adapter for that. I have one. :D In addition to being a hassle to mess with both volume controls I think you will get better quality with the line-out (you won't under or overdrive your amplifier).

5. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Feuerbacher @ Jan 29 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]382485[/snapback]</div>
    when you say a "line out" - do you mean a cable that runs from the "bottom" of the iPod (the proprietary interface) that has at the other end an AUX plug? (rather than "AUX" plugs at both ends??)

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can use the signal you get out of an iPod dock. You might even be able to charge your iPod from the dock, but I got a DICE unit so I could both charge my iPod and control it from the MFD and steering wheel.

7. newby

newby New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(07idurham @ Jan 29 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]382443[/snapback]</div>
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your car? Currently looking at the same option package and would like to know what others are paying

8. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you prefer to keep it simple, use the AUX cable. The input is located inside of the center armrest on the front right. Be sure and set the mode to AUX. True you will have the volume control on the iPod and the stereo, but I just set the iPod at the desired level and then control the volume on the steering wheel. The downside is that the iPod doesn't charge this way. I usually keep mine charged up anyway so it's not a problem for me. If you have any questions, PC is the place. Congrats on the car!

9. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Feuerbacher @ Jan 29 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]382485[/snapback]</div>
    I also used the AUX cable for a while but I too got tired of constantly adjusting the volume control to properly drive the Prius head unit and more annoyingly having to constantly remember to charge my iPod.

I found using the line out (the fancy connector on the bottom of your iPod) is the way to go. Monster Cable sells a connector (I got mine at Circuit City) for about $25 to $30 that will both charge your iPod and utilize your line out connection. But the problem there is you will get a ground loop which will introduce some hum in the system. If you are not too discrete of a listener you may be able to live with it but I found a ground loop isolator (they are sold at Wal-mart in the car stereo section for about $12 bucks or so) does the job.

Just be aware when connecting the ground loop isolator (which uses RCA type connectors and that hooks up between your line out jack from the Monster Cable connector on your iPod and your Prius under the console AUX input jack) you will have to get a little creative with matching the "genders" of the RCA plugs to the 1/8" phono to RCA connectors (of which you will need two). Just go to the audio/visual rack (where all the VCR/DVD and TV hook up cables are) and you will find all the cables and connectors you will need.

BTW, the line output level produced by the iPod (which is not user adjustable; it is also not affected by the volume setting on the iPod) seems to be matched quite well with the Prius's head unit.

Rick
    #4 2006

10. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Feb 14 2007, 05:50 AM) [snapback]390123[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. Good report. I was amazed that I couldn't get this simple info, given how much folks have talked about this issue. Seems that people take the no-charging headphone output route, or they go the DICE route.

11. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 14 2007, 06:28 AM) [snapback]390135[/snapback]</div>
    [sorry, I mistakenly replied to the message before yours, which was also good, but yours addressed all of my questions]
    Thanks for the info. Good report. I was amazed that I couldn't get this simple info, given how much folks have talked about this issue. Seems that people take the no-charging headphone output route, or they go the DICE route.

12. kman42

kman42 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 14 2007, 08:28 AM) [snapback]390135[/snapback]</div>

Okay, I am about to go this route, but I just want to be clear about what I will need. I need a Monster Line Out (dock connector) to RCA connectors, the ground loop isolator RCA to RCA, and an RCA to mini AUX plug cable. So three cables? Wow, my entire center console will be filled with cables.

Does no one make an integrated device for this purpose that just goes from the dock connector to the mini plug with a ground loop isolator built in?

kman

13. bpeschka

bpeschka Junior Member

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kman42 @ Mar 29 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]414207[/snapback]</div>
    You can go the simple route and just get a cable with 3.5mm plugs on each end, and plug your iPod directly into the aux jack. However, as pointed out already that will not charge your iPod. Using a line-out connector (I have one made by Belkin) will boost the signal and will allow you to charge your iPod, but will cause ground loop noise so you'll need a filter.
    But you can avoid the RCA-to-mini adapters. Crutchfield sells a ground loop noise filter with 3.5mm jacks on each end of the cable so you won't need an adapter. It works very well.

15. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 30 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]414727[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info on the Crutchfield noise filter, thats the way I am going to go for now. Maybe dice later.

16. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 30 2007, 07:53 AM) [snapback]414779[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks from me too. My iPod was humming away when hooked to the charger while playing and I didn't know there was a solution for this. I ordered a SIK charger with line out audio on Amazon and the noise filter from Crutchfield. Thanks again for an easy fix. :)

17. tkarches

tkarches Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  18. qleaper

qleaper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 14 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]390135[/snapback]</div>
    Just to clarify... So you spend about $50 so that you can play your ipod and charge at the same time? I'd rather spend $6 buying an AV cable at radio shack and recharge my ipod every weekend at home! At least for the moment that works for me.
    But in order to have the commands on the radio itself do you need a DICE? How much does that go for (including installation)?

Thanks!

19. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qleaper @ Apr 23 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]428533[/snapback]</div>

If you want to charge and control the iPod from the headunit or the steering wheel, a DICE unit will do. You can buy it here, http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/66 and install shouldn't take a good installer about an hour or you can do it yourself.

20. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Feb 14 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]390123[/snapback]</div>

Just got a '07 Base#2 & using the Aux jack hookup.
    Obviously it didn't come with a separate charger, so I had to purchase one.

Question: does keepng the iPod hooked up to the Charger in the center console Aux jack do any damage or drain the Prius battery?