1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I know if Enginer is working?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by adric22, Feb 15, 2010.

1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I finished the install of my Enginer kit in my Gen-1 prius tonight. I took a 4 mile test drive which lasted about 12 minutes. The first 5-minute section was 25 mpg, which is normal with cold engine, the second 5-minute was about 45, which is also normal. Somehow I was expecting to see some improvement even on a short drive. Obviously I'll drive it further tomorrow, but is there a sure-fire way to test if the thing is working?

2. JonnyD

JonnyD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you can check your engineer pack voltage before and after the run to verify power consumption.

eg. if you run your pack for 30mins continuous. You should get something like 53-57V at the start and something like 49-51V at the end of your drive.

A better way is to purchase a Scanguage and monitor the OEM battery current.

3. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First, I assume you are getting a green light both at the switch and on the converter.

Get a Clamp-on DC Ammeter $65 at Sears. You can clamp it around any wire and it will read the current in that wire. Check the current in the heavy red cable going from the cells to the converter. You should see 55amps or so depending on your converter settings.

Check the no load output voltage from the converter. Turn off the Prius. Unplug the blue connectors coming out of the converter and insulate the side going to the Prius. Connect the DVM to the converter side and insulate those connections. Turn on the Prius. When you get the Ready light then turn on the Enginer system. You should get the green light and about 320v(for Gen1) or 240v(Gen2,3) on the DVM. Turn it all off before touching anything. This voltage is dangerous.

By the way, are you sure that the 100a breaker is on? I forgot that one.

Thanks,
    Dan

4. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, the breaker is on. Yes, the green light is on. I tried turning the breaker off, and I get a red light for a few seconds, then no light at all.

I will see about measuring the voltage and amperages, as you suggest.

I realize the Enginer system isn't going to get me 100 mpg, but I was hoping for at least 60 and maybe longer stretches of EV driving than usual with the stock battery alone.

5. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I think you should expect 65mpg for about 20 miles with a Gen1. This may take some care with how you push on the peddle but I think it is doable.

Thanks,
    Dan

6. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay, actually here's the scoop. My first two tests were less than 5 miles and in both cases the engine was not even warmed up until the very end of the tests. I had to go on a little trip today on the highway and the results were stunningly different.

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with how the prius breaks your trip up into little 5-minute segments, right? Well here is what my 20 minutes got me.

The first 5 minutes was about 30 mpg, which is typical when my car is cold. The next 5 minutes was 70 mpg and again for the next 5 minutes after that. Then I had to exit the highway and drive on city streets for the last 5 minutes where I managed a stunning 95 mpg!

So I would say it is definitely working. Under normal circumstances my highway mileage would have been around 42 and my city would have been around 44.

7. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, definitely looks like it's working :). Good job.

Remember, the real test is averages over entire tanks. It's very easy to get excited when you see great short term mileage but remember those numbers are a bit deceiving given that they are over time and not over actual distance.

There will also be very different results between runs when the gasoline engine starts off warm and when it starts off cold.

Just things to consider.

Andrew

8. jfors

jfors New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can also use a ScanGaugeII instrument and configure it to measure Prius main EV battery current. With the Enginer system on you, and car standing still, you should see a 5-10A NEGATIVE current, i.e., the PHEV battery pack charging the main battery.

When driving, on even ground, I find that I can drive in EV mode at up to approx 20-30MPH, drawing power only from PHEV battery, and the main Prius battery holding steady.

JF