1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Do I Know These Numbers Are Genuine?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by skruse, Apr 15, 2006.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was talking with a real estate agent last week. He commented that his wife drives a Toyota Camry and will not even consider a Prius. I suggested he look at my fuel records for 23,000 miles, make a copy and take it home to his wife. I pointed out fuel economy is variable dependent on ambient air temperature (better in summer, lower in winter) and personal driving habits. I pointed out as low at 45 mpg in winter and as high as 62 mpg in summer, with cumulative mpg at 50. He took a copy of the spreadsheet home. His wife has a 60 mile daily commute (30 each way) and the cost of fuel is a consideration. Regular gasoline in central California is now at $3.01 per gallon.

I spoke with the agent a few days later and asked if he had shown the spreadsheet to his wife. He said, "Yes, but her comment was, 'How do I know these figures are real!?'." He also said that he advised his wife that the 2007 Camry will be a hybrid. She totally changed her opinion and is now looking toward purchasing a hybrid Camry.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <sigh> some people.

Do you keep the receipts from fillups? That's probably another good source unless she's gonna say how is she to know that these fill ups are full tanks and how does she know it corresponds with x miles and how does she know if it's for your car...

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

she's the first one to take Fox News as "gospel"

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have no I idea how to answer that question. I keep record but they are spread over "tax years" The spread sheet is honest or it is not. You believe me or not. Yes I know all the ways to "dry lab" a undergraduate chemistry experiment. There is one other thing. It is basic honesty, as a scientific observer, a person. My data is what it is. Challenge me I will show you my note-book. I have detailed, calculated and signed each page. It is hard bound and you can not take pages out with out them being noted. Every strike out is documented and noted with an explanation for the change and initialed by two persons in my lab. OK Challenge me. I will produce the data.

5. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Apr 16 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]240391[/snapback]</div>
    or swallow Dan Rather(gate)'s "fake but accurate" benediction!

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think people are suspicious of the mileage claims. The Prius is the first car I have ever bought that actually does at least as well as the EPA mileage sticker. Most people are used to "discounting" the EPA mileage by about a third for their own driving.

She may want to test drive both. I wasn't even going to consider the Prius until I test drove it. Compared to other high mileage cars, the Prius is quieter, seemed to have faster accelleration, and has more interior room. Compared to a 2005 Camry, which was not a high mileage car on my list, it matches up pretty well in terms of interior room and accelleration. I found the Prius seats to be more comfortable than the Camry's ... although none of the high mileage cars were really comfortable (the Chevy HHR was the best in terms of seat comfort). I don't know about the 2006 Camry, or the new Camry Hybrid. I suspect the extra weight of the Camry Hybrid will make the mileage gain less spectacular.