1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I lube my Prius gas tank opener?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Joe Wall, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yesterday I was traveling 4 hours away and my gas tank would not open. I pulled the lever and it would not open. I had to have a family member hold the lever and push on the gas can opener. I'm thinking I need to use liquid wrench or a lubricate (since it is winter). What do you think it getting stuck or needs lubricating during the winter?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you talking about lubricating the hinge on the flap coving the gas cap? Generic picture, just for illustration:

upload_2023-1-25_12-8-18.png

If it's really stuck, maybe first a spritz of WD40, to flush out any corrosion, grit or salt. Then follow up with a heavier lube, preferably some sort of spray can with a straw. Just a small amount, then work the hinge. Have a rag underneath, and wipe off any overspray.

I love this stuff, was given to me by a guy who replaced our garage door opener. It goes on luquid to get into crevises, then thickens up. Just needs the slightest amount:

F8C156F0-4258-45FA-9736-67096C3AD720.jpeg

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First step to a problem like this is cleaning everything and some form of lube, then exercise it again and again till it loosens up... And if this problem only is an issue below freezing in the short term you'll have to warm up the frozen spot and long term you'll have to figure out how to dry it out.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The door should swing with a finger You should be able to flop it back and forth finger on either side of the door going whichever way If that's not the case like everybody said squirt some penetrating oil in there and work the door until it you can almost blow on it and it'll close then in the middle of the door at the back edge you see the little piece of metal that bends out that's adding tension when the doors closed so if that's not bent out enough bend it out a little bit. Now you want to pull up on the lever while the door's open The lever pulls up with two fingers gently no problem? If not then you may need to get in behind that lever and shoot some penetrating oil along the cable as it enters the sheath it's like a bicycle cable and then you may be able to get in behind the gas tank door from the inside trim on the car and shoot some penetrating oil or lubricant down the cable and a little bit of exposed cable work connects to the button that pushes the door open. You should be able to gently pull up the lever and see the door crack open it all should be that loose

5. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok. I tried to lube the hinge which didn't do anything. When I pull the lever to open the gas can it doesn't open. Anything else that could be wrong?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine used to get balky to open in freezing weather sometimes.

7. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Is there resistance when you pull the release or is it easy to pull?

8. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The little white latch doohickey probably needs lubricating. The one in my Alfa Romeo is sticking/lazy like yours, but the Italians foresaw this and put a secondary release handle in the trunk :LOL:

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't overcomplicate this. A Gen 2 uses a V shaped piece of spring steel to open the fuel door. It's mounted on the fuel door, close to the car when the door is open. If you move the door in the closed direction you should be able to see the tip of the V make contact as the door is closing. All you have to do is bend the V open some more to make the door spring open further when released. Worst case scenario is your V piece broke.

PaulDM likes this.
  10. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Secondary release is on the gen 4. Not on the OP gen 2

11. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't see a release

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When mine was getting balky, I even bought a brand shiny new V spring piece from the dealer, and that didn't solve the problem.

It was finally solved when I found a light lube and some effective way of getting it inside the hinge (which is built in a way that doesn't make it so easy to get stuff inside it).

Tombukt2 likes this.
  13. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty sure my V spring or whatever is not there. Must have came out somehow.

Attached Files:

14. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where's the cheapest and best place to buy a
    Toyota Fuel Door Spring?

Hanging on with 286k likes this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A Toyota dealer?

It's $6.35 list if they don't offer a discount. How often will you buy one, and how much would you save shopping around?

16. Joe Wall

Joe Wall Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I only need one. I might go to a junk yard or dealer. Shipping is more than the spring itself

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At your dealer parts counter, usually you don't pay shipping.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Time to lubricate alot of things.:

Hood latch (that's next to get stuck. Seen lots of those on this site and a real PIA to unlock))
    Hood hinges
    Door hinges

Drivers door key hole (that's really important because if/when your 12 volt battery dies you must be able to manually unlock that door wi9th your key to get in to the car. Many a poster with a dead 12 volt on the side of the road found that key in the fob was never used and the door lock was rusted shut at the worst possible time. Hilarity and $$ ensues.)

12 volt battery posts and chassis ground connection.
    Trunk hinges
    Trunk lock
    Gas door

This is just basic maintenance.

#18 edthefox5, Feb 5, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Hanging on with 286k likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll add that I ended up having to replace my driver's door hinges somewhere in the 2xx,xxx mile area, because they had worn so loose that you could wiggle the end of the door up and down, and that also meant the body was less stiff and made weird noises over curves and humps, and the noises went away with new non-worn hinges.

It wasn't an awful job. But I might never have needed to do it if I had shot some lube in there once or twice.

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trying to find a new spray lubricant that does not smell and stays where you put it.

My favorite was CSP by Blaster it was great kinda thick spray lube that stayed where you sprayed it and no smell unlike the other Blaster spray product used to bust nuts loose which smells awful. WD smells awful too. CSP is no longer made and its replacement is like water and the spray can system is awful you cannot control it. Just a crappy product.

I heard some good things about Triflow Teflon spray lube and bought a small spray can on Amazon and its very good spray lube no smell kinda thick but very expensive. Has good reviews but twice the price of CSP..