1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I navigate music folders on my phone via Bluetooth connection?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Elforman, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Elforman

Elforman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

I've had my new 2013 Model 3 for a whole week now and I love everything about it except for one thing: The Bluetooth will connect to my phone (Galaxy S3) and will play music from it, but it ignores the fact that all of the songs are in different folders. It treats all the music as if it is in a single folder and will let me move back and forth alphabetically or randomly, but I can't play a particular album. There should be controls at the bottom of the touch screen but they are grayed out and inaccessible.

Background: The album art (which are in the same folders as the respective songs) does appear on the screen. The MP3 files are in folders on the SD card.

So can anyone tell me how I can fix this? Do I need to do something different to the way the MP3s are stored on the phone?

2. Elforman

Elforman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bumping, hoping a helpful someone will see this...

3. Want A Hybrid

Want A Hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What application are you using to listen to the music?

Most applications will allow you to toggle between "Albums", "Folders", "Playlist" etc.

In my case, I use Rocket Player and the tab "Album" and it works fine, defined as "an Album is a set song whose MP3 tags album is the same".

The tab "Folder" works too and is defined as a physical folder in my memory card.

4. Elforman

Elforman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reply, but my goal is to be able to navigate the folders and songs via the touchscreen in the car, not on the phone. I normally use WinAmp on my phone, and all MP3 files are associated with WinAmp. However, when I'm in the car and I start the music streaming to the car via Bluetooth that default "Music Player" app launches on my phone, and the "LIST" and "BROWSE" buttons on the car's touchscreen are grayed out.

5. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So far, I have only heard that iPhone's over Bluetooth do this with the Prius.

Anyway, my S3 is the same as yours, but my iPad lets me navigate titles over Bluetooth like this (ala iOS). So, since I don't want to take that big iPad everywhere, I resorted to just putting all my MP3's on an old USB memory card plugged into the USB port which allows me to navigate through it. And listening to the MP3's via the USB stick, sure seems like they sound better than over Bluetooth.

I'm patiently waiting for Android 4.2.x to be delivered to my S3 since I hear the Bluetooth stack has been upgraded which I hope will provide better Bluetooth compatibility with the Prius radio. I'm looking for more AVRCP fast-forward/skip and other controls to hopefully be in the Android update.

6. Elforman

Elforman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, OK, I had assumed it was possible to do what I wanted, and apparently it is simply not possible. Not yet anyway. My S3 is on 4.1.1. so I guess I'll just have to sit and wait for 4.2.x along with you. And idea when that's supposed to start rolling out?

And thanks for the idea about just using a USB stick. I'd thought about that but was hoping to avoid it. I assume that if it's formatted correctly the Prius will recognize it and I'd select it as the "Aux" input?

Now I just have to figure out why when I woke up this morning my S3 had a dead battery (it was at 90% when I went to sleep-I use it as my alarm clock) and it says my SD card is damaged. Grrr.....

7. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The reason the S3 won't mount via the USB port is due to android 4.x changing the way android devices mount the microsd card when connecting to external devices. The connection was known as mass storage mode which mounted the sdcard to the external device, but now it is MPT mode which most devices except computers don't do. I'm betting that most of the worst changes to android lately are because of those Apple folks.

GT-P7310 ? HD

8. Elforman

Elforman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, so right now there's pretty much no reason then to even have my Galaxy S3 in the car unless I actually want to make phone calls.

However, I did try using a standard USB memory stick plugged into the incredibly awkwardly positioned USB port. I created it with some folders with MP3 files it in but the Prius would not recognize that anything was plugged in. It's formatted as exFAT, so is that the problem? Does it have to be NTFS instead? Also, it's a 64gb stick, so perhaps it's too big for the Prius to read?

9. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do not know if a 64gb will work since I only had an old 16gb microsd card with a small USB adapter. I did read somewhere here on Priuschat that it has to be formated in just the old FAT format though.

My Ting S3 (ala Sprint) just got the multiwindow update, but it is still on android 4.1.2 base and not 4.2x. So, I do not know if my S3 will ever get 4.2 now or not. There is another thread were someone with a Nexus with 4.2 still did not work, but it wasn't the latest Nexus device and may of had some sort of hardware limitation compared to the latest model 4 Nexus.

GT-P7310 ? HD

10. Richard Bresowar

Richard Bresowar New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have Samsung SIII and Prius 2013 3. Bluetooth navigation of tunes is really limited to the phone. You can get much better results by connecting the phone via the USB port. It will navigate pretty well on the touchscreen that way. Also your phone stays on the trickle charger.

11. Richard Bresowar

Richard Bresowar New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also sound quality is better going though USB.