1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how do i push the rear brake caliper in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zoeboi954, Oct 30, 2015.

1. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i am having trouble trying to push the brake caliper in. it doesn't want to go in at all. i did the front brakes with no problem. i notice the front has like a cup type of caliper but the rear has sticks out differently.... so what am i doing wrong why cant i push it in

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You have to screw it in, clockwise makes it go in. You can use a pair of offset needle nose pliers in a pinch, or get the tool that'll go onto a ratchet wrench extension, makes it a lot easier. Any automotive shop will have them, for around $5:

Capture.JPG

Lisle is one brand if I recall.

Also, be SURE when re-assembling: the cross pattern on the piston face should be oriented so the pin on back of brake pad falls in between the cross spokes. Then when you button everything up, and before reconnecting 12 volt battery: compress the brake pedal multiple times, get the brakes well seated. What you DON'T want to do is apply the parking brake before the brake is seated, it'll attempt to rotate the caliper piston, could cause the cross pattern to ride up on the pin skew the whole thing.

Attached Files:

#2 Mendel Leisk, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    RightOnTime and Lucifer like this.
  3. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks you very much I appreciate the help but that retarded how they made that... I'm use to doing brakes on a Lexus rx330 06 and all 4 wheels used the same push in tool........

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the Lexus has a small drum brake within disc brake approach, dealing with rear parking brake? Not sure.

It's no uncommon to have to screw in the rear Pistons; Nissan Maxima was similar, one I've experienced.