1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I read these vehicle diagnostic codes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CO100, Apr 9, 2013.

1. CO100

CO100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I have a 2007 Prius and yesterday the ABS, (!), and red brake warning lights came on during my ride to work. Then at lunch when I started the car again, they were no longer any warning lights on.

Following their advice, I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as a brake light switch, which was replaced for about $188.00. I also asked them to check the freon levels as the air was running tepid. They evac'd and refilled for another 180.00.

Now to the question: I asked to see a copy of the Diagnostic Report, but I have no idea how to read it. Is there a source online that describes how to read these reports?

What do the monitor status, FFD, DTC, Curr, Pend, Hist , Perm and SB columns stand for? What about Calibration and Update columns?

For my report in particular, the only system where the FFD column is marked "yes" is Air Conditioner. The DTC for A/C is B1421. Does anyone know what this means?

All the other FFD are marked as "no", although, the Curr column is checked for Engine and ECT (P3193), Cruise Control (P0571, PO607), ABS/VSC/TRAC (C1249), and Air Conditioner (V1421). The corresponding DTC's are in parentheses. Can anyone translate ?

Thanks!!!! Christine

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The place to go for looking up these codes is the service manual for the Prius, which can be purchased from the Toyota site, and perhaps other places have it also. There are also some sites that have codes also, search engines are your friend. You are looking up DTC's, Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

B1421 is the code for the solar sensor circuit on the dash. It means that the car is in the garage at the moment. You can ignore that one, all Prius set it.

C1249 is for the stop light switch they fixed.

P0571 is the same as above, P0607 is related. They will go away after the switch is fixed.

P3193 means you ran out of fuel at some point.

Some DTC will be stored, some go away after the error condition goes away. They all get reset by taking off the 12V battery for a while. If there is a continuing error, the code will be reset.

From the above, you can forget about it as it looks to be repaired for now.

3. CO100

CO100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!