1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Do I Reconnect the Muffler Heat Shield?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TonyPSchaefer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you remember, I had a rattling muffler heat shield: Rattling Muffler Heat Shield - PriusChat Forums. It turns out the rattling was caused by the muffler getting bumped up when I ran over some landscaping rocks. I was able to return the muffler to its original placement.

That thread's first reply was from Jayman who asked if the heat shield was rusted out. Well, I just confirmed that the muffler heat shield is rusted out. Jayman was ahead of his time.

The rattling came back and I just put it up and took a look. The heat shield is literally resting on the muffler. When I looked at the top of the heat shield, I was able to see where there were two screws that looked as though their job is to hold it in place. (see attached). The one with the arrows is to show where the screws are (disregard the dents).

My question is simple: without completely removing the muffler (which I have no intentions of doing) how can I put the heat shield back up in place to stay?

Attached Files:

MasterPri08 likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think there's a simple answer to your simple question.

The correct way to fix the problem would be to remove the muffler to provide access, remove the rusted hardware from the underside of the body and install a new heat shield and new bolts (or else use oversized washers to compensate for the oversized holes in the old heat shield.)

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is there enough room to drill another hole toward the outside edge of the heat shield and put a screw in? Not sure if it is safe to drill though (anything delicate such as wires behind?). Another thought was J-B Weld. Yet another was to fashion some sheet metal spring widget to wedge between the heat shield and the muffler. None of these are ideal though.

By the way I like your method of organizing your tools by keeping them in their original (store display) packaging. I use the same trick for some of my tools also. :)

4. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting problem. You actually got me to take a look at the muffler & heat shield arrangement on ours. Since you don't want to take the muffler off, is it feasible to disconnect the muffler brackets, fore and aft of the muffler thereby allowing the muffler to drop a few inches? That extra space might give you the room to get tools in there to reattach the heat shield. Just a thought.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An excellent thought.

In addition, if Tony removes the stiffening brace, that might allow the muffler assembly to swing laterally as well as down, thus providing even more access to the work area.

I think he should buy new rubber mounts in that case, so that the old ones can be cut off without placing stress on the muffler attach points which look pretty rusty.

6. Andrew Sottile

Andrew Sottile New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just reattached my muffler heat shield using oversized washers like you mentioned. Problem solved! Although, I did not remove the muffler. I just struggled to fit a small enough wrench, a socket wrench, and my fat hands above the muffler to unscrew the old bolts that were securing the shield.

MasterPri08 and Patrick Wong like this.