1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I register 2 phones to my Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by acmeplant, Sep 5, 2008.

1. acmeplant

acmeplant New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We just got our Prius and are trying to connect our bluetooth phones. My husband and I can each connect our phone, but only one at a time. The manual says up to 6 phones can be connected, but we haven't found a screen that actually shows the "add a phone" option, so we've had to remove one phone to use the other. Am I missing something? When I go to Settings to choose a device, the screen shows 6 telephone icons. One shows the name of the connected device and the other 5 icons are empty and do not open when touched. Please help! Thanks

2. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can register as many phones as you want, but only connect and use one at a time.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    your only allowed 6 phones or 4 phones with navigation, i think??

your going to the wrong screen. to add another phone you have to press bluetooth, register

the screen select telephone with the phones shown is not the right screen

4. acmeplant

acmeplant New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try and get back to you.

5. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just remember you can still only use one at a time via bluetooth in the car. You can both be making calls but only the one connected to the car will be using the bluetooth.

6. acmeplant

acmeplant New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, of course, thanks. I understand about only using one at a time. It's the registration I'm asking about.

7. SUZQ

SUZQ New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hi all, a Prius newbie here...

I have the exact same issue. I am unable to Register more than one phone. I understand that I can't use more than one phone at a time, but I should be able to register up to 6. I registered the first one fine following the instructions in the owner's manual. There are no instructions on how to register subsequent phones. I was expecting to see an "Add" or a "New" selection for registering. If I go to Bluetooth --> Register, it just shows the info for the first registered phone and selecting Register simply tries to re-register that first phone.

I don't believe the phone itself is the problem since when I hit Register, the 2nd phone shows that it found the connection for the 1st phone. By the way, I have turned off and removed the first phone from the car when trying to register the 2nd phone just to be sure that there are no conflicts.

Can anyone help? If you could go to your Prius that already has a phone registered and then tell me the exact steps to add another phone, I'd sure appreciate it!!!

:confused:

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i think in the bluetooth screen, for all intents and purposes the 'register' key is the same as a 'new phone' key

9. SUZQ

SUZQ New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hi rigormortis et al,

Thank you...

<insert apology here for long-winded post>

Yes, I stumbled upon this myself yesterday and wrote down some steps for those of us who just didn't get it. (Procedure at bottom of this post.) I think my main problem was that after registering the first phone, I changed the default name (in the Prius) so that it would be easily identifiable. So when I went to register the second phone, it looked like I was going to overwrite what I had just done for the 1st phone. For example, let's say you name the first one "Sam." When you go to register Joe's phone, Joe's phone connects to "Sam." Of course this doesn't look correct so I just kept stopping at that point thinking that I didn't want to overwrite the "Sam" registration with Joe's. The reality, however, is that it is indeed a new registration with the same passcode. Not intuitive at all, IMHO.

For those of you out there who, like me, were expecting to see a "New" or "Add" selection for phone registration... here are the steps I used to register my second (and subsequent) phones. (Disclaimer: these steps may not be perfect; I wrote them from memory shortly after executing the procedure, but I believe they are good enough to get most people through it.)

Phone1 = Jack’s mobile
    Phone2 = Jill’s mobile
    1. Register phone1, rename connection to JACK
    2. Turn Bluetooth off on phone1, or turn phone1 completely off. (I also turned the car off and then back on again just to be sure I didn’t have a connection open still.)
    3. Turn on phone2 and enable Bluetooth.
    4. On Prius: InfoàTelephoneàBluetooth: it will show info for JACK.
    5. Hit Register anyway.
    (Note: this is where I stopped previously as I didn’t want to overwrite the JACK connection.)
    6. Phone2 will now show it is has found and synched with JACK. (Again, very confusing.)
    7. Input the passcode into the phone and complete the steps.
    8. Change the name for this connection to JILL.
    9. Now verify that under Select Telephone, there are now two phones with the default names of the devices (generally the model number of the phone). I added our names here as well.
    P.S. I don't have the car here at the moment to check, but renaming the registration info may not buy you anything. I think now that it is simply a way to identify the connection on the phone (like maybe renaming it to PRIUS would be more appropriate). Renaming the phones in Telephone Selection will help you identify them. I am now guessing that the name used in the Register area does not change w/ the phone that is connected.
    Thanks to all for your friendliness and help!
    Sue
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."

10. Garmy

Garmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just love the voice calling feature. Call George....bluetooth replys..."Calling Susan".....duh!

11. spidey

spidey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The problem I am having is transferring the phone book from the phone to the prius all the entries come in with the same name

12. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Once you have both phones registered- each time you use a different one, you have to change it (only while stopped):
    Orange County Prius Club -Pairing 2 Bluetooth Phones with the Prius

How to Select Which Bluetooth Phone with the Prius
    (you must pair each phone first)
    It will pair with more than one phone but you can ONLY connect with one at a time. ​