1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I remove the Steering ECU on a 2007 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by k2technical, May 3, 2013.

1. k2technical

k2technical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would like to inspect the steering components including the steering computer and connections on my 2007 Prius. The dealer keeps resetting the steering zero point during the last several times ti fix loss of power assist. After the reset, the steering returns to normal only to fail again in several weeks. All it takes is another reset of the zero point and all is ok again......Toyota Service now has a tech case on this car with only 31000 miles on it!
    Any suggestions and how do I get to the ECU and wiring ?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The steering ECU is located on the steering column, but buried deep under the dash. The manual states that one has to remove the dash pieces and the MFD to get to it. Not a simple task, but also DIY-able, and there are instructions on youtube and here on PC. I don't believe it can be gotten at from under the dash looking up. Too cramped.

3. k2technical

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you for the information, but I do not know what "MFD" stands for....
    Does the entire top of the dash have to come off, or just the plastic piece just to the front of the steering columb? Now I know why the dealer has been just "resetting the zero point" to fix the steering issue.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MFD is the multifunction display. That is the touch-sensitive screen in the middle of the dash.

If you are serious about finding the steering ECU you may wish to subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com so that you can see exactly what is required to open up the dash to gain access.

5. k2technical

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you for the information, maybe I will let the dealer do what is necessary before the warrantee expires. I am seriously considering selling the Prius and just driving the Chevy Volt.

6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let us know how that works out.

7. k2technical

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you all for posting for this issue. I brought the 07 Prius into the dealer once again so they could capture data of a possible fault. No error codes were there after two days, and I got a clean bill of health for the steering. Same as before, "no error codes = no fixes " I thanked them and traded in the 2007 Prius for Chevy Volt...... Soooo much nicer, and ITS actualy an electric vehicle and not a make believe one like the Prius. It has a generator that starts up after 42 miles of pure electric and runs the Volt. My cost to charge the Volt back up is $1.60 if I used all the 42 miles of energy from the batteries. No more noise from a whinny gasoline engine and no gasoline at $4 a gallon if I stay under 42 miles. The Volt is "fast" too, and the steering actually won't bind up like it did in the 2007 Prius. Oh, if any one needs the "Bentley Publishers 2004 to 2008 repair and maintenance manual #TP08" , a Prius cargo net, the 2007 original Nav disk, the Sun Screen for the front window or the front license plate bracket, e mail me at [email protected]..... Reasonable, I don't have a use for any of them..... Norm

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two