How Do I Repair A Hybrid Automotive Prolong Discharger?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Phildo, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Phildo

Phildo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Around 18 months ago I bought a set of Hybrid Automotive Prolong equipment - a Camry charger (CO-CR), a Camry discharger (PD-CR) and a Prius discharger (PD-PR).

The Prius discharger stopped working some time later so I sent it back to Hybrid Automotive for repair. I had to pay the freight cost both ways (from Australia to the US).

I finally got the discharger back, only to find that it wasn't repaired (after HA sent it to the wrong address). It stopped working as soon as I used it again.

I'm pissed off. Sure, I could send it back... again.. but the freight costs to do so will be more than the cost of a new discharger, and I don't trust HA to actually do the job properly.

I'm starting to hate Hybrid Automotive these days - I've paid money for something that doesn't work, and now that it doesn't work HA don't want to fix it properly.

So, now that I'm stuck with this junk discharger and HA can't be counted on, does anyone know anything about repairing a Prolong discharger?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you contacted them for help? perhaps they can diagnose the problem, based on what they saw and 'repaired'.
    or, they might pick up the freight this time.

srellim234 and SFO like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you check the internal fuse?

The ever friendly/helpful CS at HA explained that one could use a 2A fuse, as the 1.5A it shipped with wasn't as readily available to me here locally (US model). Best to confirm with HA before randomly popping in the wrong voltage/amperage fuse though.

If not the internal fuse, it might be the resistor array. CS said they could replace the array, or they could just send me one for a self install. The heat dissipating resistor array won't last forever, though I bet you could build one that would last longer than OEM.

Any symptoms that you care to share, or do you know what might be wrong with this discharger?

(didn't watch the video)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've found that HybridAutomotive gear may be a bit expensive, but they make up for it by being very generous when it comes to taking responsibility for problems with products and quickly shipping out replacements... Get on the phone with them and be friendly and give them all the details and I bet you they'll have ordered you a brand new discharger free of charge by the time you get off the phone.

5. Phildo

Phildo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    My experience is the opposite.

I had to pay the shipping cost both ways, and they just didn't fix it.

I admire Jeff's passion and commitment to his company, but his staff are useless and that's who I have to deal with.

When this discharger originally failed I asked if they could sent me suitable parts so that I could get it fixed locally, but no, I had to spend around $A170 on sending it to them.

When I sent the discharger to HA I put a very clear return address on the box. But, Hybrid Automotive then sent it back to the US freight forwarder that I originally used (ie HA's shipping quote was much higher than a nearby freight forwarder, so I had the lot sent to the freight forwarder, and then forwarded to me in Australia). Despite the return address on the box HA sent the "repaired" discharger to the freight forwarder (which I no longer use) without checking with me first.

I've also bought a Prius charger locally secondhand, but the on/off switch has now broken. Being secondhand, and older than two years, there's no warranty on that, but that makes it a 50% failure rate on four items. Being out of warranty it's not relevant, but it's also not doing a whole lot for my experience with HA's build quality.

If anyone has a direct email address for Jeff then please send it to me and I'll contact him directly, but I've had enough of dealing with his staff.

SFO likes this.
  6. Phildo

Phildo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    It cuts out when discharging, as shown in the video.

Press the button, and discharging starts. Shortly after (usually a few minutes) it stops discharging and goes back to standby mode.

SFO likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Jeff is a member here: @jeff652 ;).

You can start a private conversation with him and see what can be worked out:).

I've dealt with him and he does things the right way(y).

srellim234 and SFO like this.
  8. qmanqman

qmanqman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I had a buddy in high school named Phil and we used to call him Phildo LOL

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, I've heard that from others... Being a small business, there's basically one dude who handles this stuff and whenever I'm on the phone with him the chemistry is great and maybe because I'm super grateful for all his help he's been super generous resolving issues?

Perhaps try again? It seems only fair that because you spent so much money on shipping already that they should fix this mess in a way that doesn't cost you any more money than you already spent.

nssdiver and Raytheeagle like this.