1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I shut off Mood lighting strip? Like it hate it?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by samsprius1, Sep 12, 2023.

1. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'd like it dark when I'm driving at night, can't find if there's a setting for the foot well and accent lighting to turn them off? I've been through all the settings, and I'm racking my brain trying to figure it out!I have the 12.3 in info screen in "dark mode" all the time and have brightness all the way down. And dash dimmer switch to low! Maybe I am just light sensitive, but the neon blue strip is too much!

Attached Files:

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Manual seems to say that the footwell light and instrument panel ornament lights are "can be changed by a dealer" options. I'd spotted the options in the manual, but hadn't registered until now that they weren't easily accessible. Sigh.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are apps available that allow you to change those dealer only options. Carista I think is one. Never used such myself, so don't know what is required.

4. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Can you give me a manual page # where it says the interior lighting can be changed by a dealer?

5. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Pg 538 of the owner's manual (Footwell lights). It also says that the Instrument Panel Ornamental Light (the blue strip?) can be changed by the dealer.

Carista has not been updated for Gen 5, so only items common to Gen 4 and Gen5 are changeable through its OBD device and software. The Footwell light setting is listed, by the IPOL is not listed since it didn't exist in Gen 4.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    what can the dealer change it to? just darken or change the color of the light?

7. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The blue light strip is not on the instrument panel, but on the 'dash board'. I see no reference to the ability to manipulate the blue (or red in Prime) light strip anywhere in the owner's manual. I spoke to my dealership and they know of no ability to change it.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no consistent distinction made between "instrument panel" and "dashboard" in the manual. The "instrument panel ornament lights" are the light strip across the whole dash.

The setting is shown here in the US owner's manual:

upload_2023-10-1_18-9-54.png

Attached Files:

Tideland Prius and samsprius1 like this.
  9. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Boggles me why Toyota would place some settings accessible in the GUI but not this one! Picked up the car today and found the correct disabling method within the latest TIS software (already had a mini-VCI way back from my first 2004 Prius purchase that still works fine) Didn't take a picture initially, but will look up the exact settings later on. Basically under the customization function, there is a category on the right column that has settings for interior lights, including:

"Interior Illumination Light 2" and Interior Illumination Light 3"
    Disabling both of those will do the trick. I didn't notice initially what "Interior Illumination Light 1" does.. tired :)
    At first I thought it didn't do anything, and then later realized that it cut the lighting off in sections, one does the far right light near the passenger and the other does the remaining lighted section.

So yes, dealer should definitely be able to do this (and free of charge) Just have to find a competent dealer/person that knows what they are doing with TIS software. I'll update this post later on with more details to be useful for others going to their dealers to change this.

#8 luiset83, Oct 28, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    daisy555 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if the setting (to off) gets lost whenever 12 volt battery is disconnected.

^ Why do you say that; doesn’t that go against their DNA?

11. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It doesn't bother me. I hardly notice it really.

12. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    At least based on prior experiences, settings that mentioned that dealer would be able to change on request from the customer would not be things they would charge for. YMMV though.

I did also notice that the pulsing of the light strip when the lead car drives away still works even if the light has been turned off with Techstream software.

otatrant likes this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is just one of the many cheesy Gen 5 features. :)

samsprius1 likes this.
  14. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Figured I'd post the screenshot showing where this particular disable lives (light 2 and light 3)

Judging by the description of light 1 it sounds like that may be the footwell light?

I also took a chance to decrease the turn signal blinker sound to the low setting (it was set to medium). That one lives in the 'Warning' category.

Despite all the customize categories shown, only some have actual settings that apply, some just show us as blank.

Attached Files:

otatrant likes this.