1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how do i tell my real MPG??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by iioeo, Jul 1, 2007.

1. iioeo

iioeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    so i was totally bummed that my "average" mpg, according to the display, has only been about 39.7, but when i refueled yesterday i calculated my total miles since my last refueling it was 46.5! i made sure to drive it till it was blinking on E so that i could get an accurate gallon read.

anyone have info on this?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In your case I'd tend to believe the MFD read-out. Over time the calculated MPG will be a more accurate representation of reality as varibility of tank filling will level itself out when calculated over distance driven.

Don't get discouraged, FE tends to improve over the first several thousand miles.

Look at the stickies on the Fuel Economy forum here. There are some articles that can help make sure that you're getting the most out of your car. Things like looking at the tire pressure and, perhaps, adjusting it upward, having the dealer check the alignment (a notorious problem in the new Prii), and then just common sense driving things that we tend to not do in conventional cars like not speeding, slowing early and anticipating stops, increasing following distance a bit, moderating AC use, etc.

Even small changes can have pretty significant impacts on your FE. If you get really hungry for great MPG we can start teaching you about Pulse & Glide techniqes and other advanced stuff that is not for the average "get me to work and home again" driver.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    39.7 is your real mpg. As Evan points out, the computer does a pretty good job calculating mileage, and if anything, is usually just a tab optimistic. Manual calculations are accurate only after many, many tanks. I'd want a year's worth of data before I'd consider it close to good.

Tom

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 1 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]471067[/snapback]</div>
    How about the following model for a manual calculation:

1. Go to a service station that will serve as a start and end point for the drive cycle.

2. Fill up until the pump's auto shut-off kicks in. Note the pump that you filled up from for later reference.

3. Note your odometer's mileage as your starting mileage.

4. Drive a circuit that involves the exact return trip to neutralize variables such as hills or wind (head or tail) effects.

5. Return to the gas station and the same pump you filled from in 1. above.

6. Fill until the auto shut-off kicks in.

7. Note the ending mileage and the amount of gas that was pumped.

8. Divide miles driven by gallons filled and you are at a pretty accurate MPG. Check the variance between computed and calculated and you have a pretty reliable variance factor to apply to future checks.

5. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might be looking at two different averages. You didn't mention if you reset the average when you last refueled.. If you did not reset it then the display will be showing your lifetime average while your calculations are giving you your average for your last tank.

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It automatically resets on the MFD. If you use the dash then you will have to reset it manually.

7. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jul 1 2007, 07:56 PM) [snapback]471203[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on what you mean by "It".

The number of miles on a tank resets automatically on the MFD (if you put in more than 3 gallons). The average on the MFD DOES NOT reset unless you press the reset button on that screen. The average is the total average since the last time you pressed reset on the MFD.

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When I first got my Prius, I kept track of the mileage manually. When I filled up and checked the manual numbers to the MFD, it came out almost identical; off by a tenth of a mile or so. I did that for the first two or three tanks and after that, I started to rely only on the MFD. Also, I found that I only had to reset the ODO to get the Avg MPG on the MFD to reset too.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Jul 2 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]471586[/snapback]</div>
    On the 04 and 05 models, both the average MPG and the number of miles automatically reset when the tank is filled up. There was a change for the 06 model year, where the average MPG no longer automatically reset when the car is refueled.

10. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I need an opinion. I just filled up and posted the results in the "I beat the EPA..." thread. The FCD showed 77.0 and my hand calculations showed 74.1. I travelled 806.1 miles and put in 10.88 gallons. Which number is correct; the FCD or my hand calculation? Either way it's good but accuracy is important to me.

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(diamondlarry @ Jul 2 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]471750[/snapback]</div>
    You could call that your best tank, but I'd still rely on an average hand calculation over several tankfuls, due to the variation in bladder capacity, and the slightly variable MFD readout.

12. fstickel

fstickel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Confused new owner,

Just got back from a 527 mile round trip to the mountains.
    Filled up before I left, drove appoximatly 248 miles with cruise at 68-70 mph, including mountains. Upon arrival I gassed up taking 8.5 gals.
    Average MPG showed 53.4 ??? OK figured iy was the cruise control.

13. fstickel

fstickel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry about the mis-send before this one

Confused new owner,

Just got back from a 523 mile round trip to the mountains.
    Filled up before I left, drove appoximatly 248 miles with cruise at 68-70 mph, including HIGH mountains. Upon arrival I gassed up taking 8.5 gals. Average MPG on display said 53.4 ??? OK figured it was the cruise control. which i left on to do it's thing.

On the return trip, with some small side trips, I only used the cruise control on the long flat runs, I gassed up when i got home with a display reading of 52.6 average mpg, actual gas put in was 4.85 gal.

No way did I get 53 mpg, after doing the math I actually got 39.22 mpg average from both directions

My question is, How does the computer actually come up with 53.+ number?

PS Car only has 1500 mile on clock, so I know it's still breaking in.

14. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it measures the flow of fuel in the engine. I have found that my MFD can sometimes be accurate and sometimes way off so I always do a hand calculation. I still track the MFD for kicks. Look at the link in my signature block for the file and you can see how much it varies.

15. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 2 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]471643[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for clearing that up. Glad to know that everyone is right? The OP seems to have an 07, so I'm guessing that the average does not reset like the 06.