1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I unbolt the old rear seatbelt?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Lynsta, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Lynsta

Lynsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Our rear-center seatbelt receiver broke, so I bought a new one. I can not loosen the bolt that holds the bracket. Is it just really tight, or is there a trick?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's really tight. You will need a breaker bar or an impact gun to get it off. Then when reinstalling the new one, you have to be sure to tighten it to the proper torque setting to be sure that it is safe.

You can probably rent or borrow a torque wrench from those autoparts stores or big box home improvement centers. Just don't use the torque wrench as a breaker bar to loosen the bolt, you'll ruin it.

SCH-I535

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Put a piece of stiff PVC pipe over your ratchet. My 12" long ratchet is able to remove this bolt with no problems.

iPhone ?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Warning, using a low quality ratchet type wrench, may risk damaging the ratcheting mechanism of said wrench due to the force needed to apply to the bolt. That's why it's safer to use a non ratcheting breaker bar.

SCH-I535

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is quite true, however, I've had no issues with my extra-long, 3/8" Snap-On Dual 80 ratchet. I have even used it to break loose, the infamous Honda V6 transmission fill plug.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There you go, Snap On is definitely not low quality. If the tool has "Made in China" stamped on it then...

SCH-I535