1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how do I wipe the error code so i can start the car

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by evnz, Apr 6, 2013.

1. evnz

evnz New Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to clear the codes so i can try to start the car after i put in newish batteries
    I want to have codes for only things that are wrong
    thanks
    owen

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unhooking the 12v will clear any codes that are not urgent, 10 seconds is a good time to unhook for, any codes appearing after a cold boot will be something to pay attention to;)

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Most auto parts stores have inexpensive obd2 code readers that clear codes as well as read them.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For the Federally mandated, emissions codes. There are 3x Prius specific codes that an 'over-the-counter' OBD scanner will never read.

Bob Wilson

5. evnz

evnz New Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just talked to toyota and the ecu is not talking to there scan tool and they left any idea what to do now

6. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest talking to someone with experience working on a 1998 JDM Prius. There are some owners in NZ and Australia that have these cars. I don't know of anyone in North America with a pre-2001 Prius. If the car has OBD2 port like 2001 and newer, check the OBD fuse(s) in the fusebox if a scanner won't communicate...blown fuse may make the scanner not "see" the car.

7. Prius Mitch

Prius Mitch New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

When attempting to restart the car after hooking the negative cable back up, what is the procedure, so that I don't get the triangle? It seems everything is out of whack when I do this.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When a code or warning comes back on, it means the problem is permanent. Now we can gain some insights if you slowly turn the key from position-to-position. But the 'ambiguity group' (the list of things that could be broken) remains too large to start 'swapping parts.'

You're really going to need a Prius-aware scanner. These scanners can get the error codes from the half-dozen control computers that operate the car.

Bob Wilson