1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do manufacturer warranties on used cars?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Butaketsu, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Butaketsu

Butaketsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So i'm finally taking a plunge on a 3G Prius Three (and up) or a Prius C (Four and Five). Looking for cars under 30K Miles for $15,000 and going to put down about $5000 for 72 (or 84 months, if possible. It's a reliable car i'd love to keep, no rush in paying it off).

Anywho, how do warranties work if I buy a Prius outside of a Toyota Dealership? I mean these cars come with:

Limited warranty: 3yr/36,000
    Powertrain: 5 yr/60,000
    I'm in a CARB state so: 10yr/150,000

Am I eligible for these warranties if the car is not a CPO vehicle?

I saw this thread: CARB Warranty Ins-and-Outs (and In-Out-Ins) | PriusChat

It appears I would have zero issues, since I check all the Prii via Carfax to make sure they were 1 owner vehicles purchased here in California.

The only thing I guess I would have to come out of pocket is the headgasket, should it fail, but that isn't too much of a big deal as the car is so cheap to maintain, i'd have saved enough aside in this event...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the oems warranties transfer with buyers, unless the car has ever been registered in a non carb state.
    then it gets complicated

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In *most* cases, the Warranty provided by the vehicle OEM is good regardless of where it was purchased or how many owners have had it.

Now, that is NOT a guaranteed thing! Insurance write-offs, vehicles that have: theft report, water/flood damage, frame damage are OFTEN ineligible for factory warranty coverage. There are some OEM Warranties that are to the "original retail purchaser" ONLY, be sure to read before purchase!

There is also the question of "extended warranties", these are not really a "warranty" at all, but a service or repair CONTRACT that is issued to the owner/buyer and they are often: 1) Not transferable, 2) worthless because they are not accepted by most repair shops, especially dealers!, or 3) a "good deal" because they cost more than the repairs they cover. Think of ALL non-OEM issued "Extended Warranties" as nothing more than an insurance policy that covers nothing that will fail (in many cases).

Georgina Rudkus and Butaketsu like this.
  4. Butaketsu

Butaketsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, kinda clears it up for me. I was just curious because my search radius is quite extended (100 miles, which can be as far as 2 hours away) and I of course have a Toyota dealership that is literally 2 minutes and 43 seconds from my house that I would get services done at.

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The best extended warranty? CASH and money in the bank!

No exclusion clauses.
    No retention requirements.
    No need to file a claim.
    Can be used not just for the car but for any purpose.
    Earns interest and equity over the age of the vehicle.
    Cost nothing, if you never use it. Insurance is a total loss, if it is not used.

There is no better extended warranty than MONEY in the bank.

SFO and Elektroingenieur like this.