1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do the brakes work when car is stationary?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by WRJ, May 2, 2011.

1. WRJ

WRJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in the process of changing my wheels – from winter to summer on my Prius III (4 disk brakes). As far as I understand are the rear wheels locked by the foot-brake. However I am not able to brake/ lock the front wheels. In fact I could turn them easily by hand when I was changing the front wheels. Naturally I don't feel comfortable jacking up the car at the rear to change the rear wheels. I have tried many possible combinations of pressing the “P†button & foot brake & brake pedal to no avail.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

WRJ

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The front wheels turn when you are in park? There should only be a little bit of play in the front wheels. You won't be able to eliminate that completely. Block the wheels with a piece of wood or tire chocks.

Welcome aboard by the way!

3. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always change wheels one side at a time, not the front and then the backs.

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why don't you brake the lugs lose while the car is on the ground then jack it up and you wont have to worry about the wheels turning when you finish taking the lugs off?

And lower the car back to the ground before you fully tighten the lugs. This prevents pressure on the drivetrain, and stress on the jacks that if not stable could fall if you are pulling really hard the the tire iron.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No wheel chocks?

I never jack up any vehicle without blocking a wheel on the opposite side.

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've only had to rotate my tires once, but discovered this too - the ability of the front wheels to move like this is due to the differential. So the car is in park and the front wheels can't move forward or backward together, but they can move in opposite directions at the same speed thanks to the differential. I had my SO stick her foot on the brake pedal for a few seconds while I loosened all the lug nuts, since I didn't want to drop one side of the car back down off the jack stands. You can also loosen the lug nuts on the ground, as has been mentioned. That's probably what I'll do next time, assuming I remember.

7. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1 I've always done it this way!

8. WRJ

WRJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't think about the differential... It makes sense that you can turn wheels individually but not together. My concern was not that I couldn't loosen the nuts wheel the back of the car was jacked up. I was worried about the car becoming unstable as the two (front) wheels on the ground appeared to be "spinning freely". Thanks for all the comments!

WRJ