1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do we get more hybrids on our roads?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Miriam_F, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Miriam_F

Miriam_F New Member

Hybrids make sense environmentally and energywise, but still make up only 0.5 % of new car sales. So how do we get more hybrids on our roads?

I am trying to get to this question in my master's thesis. As a matter of fact, I am still looking for people interested in the technology who would fill out a short online survey.

It is so difficult to find respondents in the absence of large amounts of money... So I am turning to the hybrid community for help. It is only by speaking to people who already own hybrids that we can find out more about why somebody chooses to drive a green car.

You would help me tremendously to gather information for my thesis if you could spare 5-10 minutes to complete a questionnaire! You can find the survey under the following URL:

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224EMSPHTMC

The survey is of course anonymous and it is absolutely independent – I am not getting paid by anybody to do this (wish I was :wink: )

I am going to post some results as soon as I finish my study, so look out for them. I am also eagerly awaiting to hear your opinion on my question here on priuschat.com !

Thank you so much for your help!

Miriam

PS: I am currently a visiting student (from Germany) at the University of Minneapolis. I'd love to hear your comments on the survey per personal message.

2. Tyeise

Tyeise New Member

I would say that advertizing/education is at least one thing that will make a difference. You wouldn't believe how many people ask me about my Prius, and are surprised to find out that I don't have to plug it in!

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

To answer your question in your post title,

PRODUCE MORE! There is demand, as there is a waiting list, and many dealers are STILL marking up there cars above MSRP.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree totally with DanMan. And there have to be more options. Many folks will only buy vehicles from American branded manufacturers. There is still a pretty strong buy American sentiment amongst many people. So the U.S. brands need to get onboard fast and make this hybrid thing a reality across their entire line. Pickups also need to be hybridized, not that GM junk that they are trying to sell, but a real strong hybrid setup. The U.S. is a truck country and as such if you want to change hybrid numbers they have to end up in pickups and they have to have performance on par or better than gas only counterparts to be adopted.

Hybrids can't cost more than regular cars if they are to be mainstream. Dealers can't be sitting there asking for above MSRP markups and there has to be no hybrid "premium" from the manufacturers for purchasing one.

So, when it comes right down to it, there has to be variety, low cost, no price differentiation and equal/better performance.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

BUILD MORE BATTERIES!

That seems to be the limiting factor now.

6. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree about the battery manufacturing quantity issue. Ford would probably be putting out double the number of Escape Hybrids if Sanyo could make the number of batteries they need to get those higher production numbers.

And I believe that Toyota is totally vertically integrated with regard to Prius production, so if there is a battery manufacturing quantity issue, it rests on Toyota's shoulders.

7. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyeise\";p=\"100609)</div>
    Tell me about it.... some Engineers in my company still ask about the "plug in" question... and they are freakin Engineers... :roll:

And there is like more than 6 in the parking lot already... and still the stupid questions.

8. raybon

raybon New Member

Borrow your friend/coworker's SUV and total it into another SUV. :)

In reality, produce more. I've got coworkers that would have bought a prius if they didn't have to wait weeks/months to get the one they want.

Glenn

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We need to end this before it gets out of hand. I've heard that comment far too often. Setting up an expectation that the hybrid enhancement should be free is an invitation for failure.

Getting something for nothing is just plain not realistic. Paying a small amount for greatly improved emissions & efficiency is totally reasonable.

People pay extra to get an automatic transmission. Why has that been accepted into the mainstream? The same is true for anti-lock brakes too. People pay extra to get them.

Instead, we should be seeking the magic price, asking people what they think is the hybrid enhancement is worth. They'll pay that if it's reasonable. They'll actually get suspicious if it doesn't cost anything.

What's wrong with paying a little more to get a hybrid?

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I agree about not charging over MSRP. There's a lady in my church that wants a Prius, but can only spend about 10K after trade-in. I have to find time and sit with her with a computer because she doesn't use computers, thus can't do the market research for her trade, or to get the Prius at a reasonable price.
    She wants a package 6, but probably would be fine with a package 4 to get the price down.

Point is though, she can't bargain locally. Most dealers here insist on market adjustment. She even traveled to GA and got the same thing. I know, she went to the wrong dealers, or talked to the wrong salesperson. But again, she doesn't use computers, so she wouldn't be able to search for good dealers.

11. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Miriam_F,

A comment on your survey:

I own 2 hybrids. Survey can only track one.

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

The answer to this question if far simpler than anything I've seen posted:

Let gas prices keep going up.

It's the fundamental reason the Prius sells so well. It's looks, options, the fact that Toyota builds it, is all secondary.

That's what drove me from $3-400/mo. fuel costs on a truck... That was the primary reason, secondary to that, I loved the "hybrid" concept, and beneath that, it looked cool.

edit: survey completed!

13. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Slap an added federal gas-guzzler tax on autos not making better than 35 mpg, or SUVs/trucks under 25?

Slap an optional hybrid system in an Audi A-4/6 (sign me up). Slap the optional H in all major SUVs/mini-vans.

14. Orsino

Orsino New Member

Simple: make it pay!

We've all seen the articles showing that the extra expense of a hybrid isn't going to be made up for by the savings at the gas pump. I think that these neglect the tax credits already available, but my opinion isn't what's important.

Either hybrids have to be made cheaper, or the public has to believe that gas prices will increase so rapidly in the future that a hybrid is a good investment. I think that the latter will prove to be the case, but until John Q. also believes it, the hybrid will remain an expensive statment made by the patriotic or forward-thinking few.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Actually, Orsino brought up an issue I had with question 19 (the one regarding breaking even). From my perspective, coming from a truck that got no more than 17mpg, it'll break even REAL QUICK.

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And produce more in a wider variety. The Prius, which is a nice little car, fills a very small niche.

If Honda put an IMA on the 4cyl accord, they could probably sell as many as they can produce.

17. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are many reasons why someone might buy a hybrid, I saw hit all of them and that will increase the number on the road!

Just a couple of ways I can think of:

1. Good for the environment: Make sure hybrids coming out are low on emissions.

2. Good fuel economy: Keep trying for higher MPG numbers while not inhibiting performance.

3. Can get off a lot just like you want like most other cars: Get more options out there and get rid of the waiting lists! I honestly think the Prius could see 200,000 cars if people had a chance to drive it and see what it is like.

4. Doesn't cost thousands extra: Make the premium small (say $500) compared to conventional (I think it is worth it even "if" there is a premium--but I think the media is continuing to harp on this and making ppl leary). Part of this could include better tax incentives.

5. Have different options: For the ultra cool have options like SS/SE, NAV, MP3 player, etc, but having some that around without all the gadgets and space age stuff.

6. Fuel Cost: Related to #2--Let the demand of fuel see the prices go up and not try to keep them up or down.

7. Education: Continue educating people about the myths and fallacies regarding them. I know there are touring events and such, but it seems like a lot of it will involve grassroots education (I try to educate everyone I know). Dealers could do more of this though by knowing more about the technology and having exhibits/displays at the dealership.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Education. People who want a hybrid need to know the facts. Those who are naysayers, well, can't do much about them.

2) Outstanding fuel economy. It can't just be better. It has to be much much better such as the Prius and Insight to get people's attention.

3) Please make the Energy Monitor/Consumption Screen standard on all Toyota/Ford hybrids. This screen really helps.

4) Like Jonny said. Variety. Please don't added them in high end models to charge a premium. To make them mainstream, you have to have regular folk buying them. Not everyone wants a fully loaded vehicle.

19. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dump CAFE and make the buyer pay the whole gas-guzzler tax. Also get rid of the car - truck distinction.

20. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let's remove inflation and look at car prices.
    Looking at the two cars in my avatar, the first is a 1971 VW fastback, which retailed for $2400 in 1970. With inflation (U.S. CPI), this is a price today of $12,000. The second is the Prius, retailing at about $27K.

The VW was pretty technologically advanced for the day (4 wheel independent torsion bar suspension, front disc brakes, adjustable alignment front and rear, air cooling), but most of all it had the engine tech of the day: electronic fuel injection. This was the first consumer car to feature EFI. It was (stop me if you've heard this around here) good for both mileage and emissions. Without a cat, this car idled at less than 100ppm HC.

The Prius adds the following, relative to the VW:
    Crumple zones
    8 air bags
    Navigation system
    ABS
    VSC
    Climate control/air conditioning
    Power windows and locks
    CVT
    CD/Cassette stereo
    100K mile warrantee
    Quiet, comfort, roominess, five doors

Oh, and a nifty hybrid drive system with phenomenal emissions and mileage, not to mention an astonishing lack of periodic maintenance required.

Are these added features worth an extra $15K? I'm not sure, but we are certainly expecting, and getting, a lot more out of our automobiles.

How much of this added value is in the hybrid system? Note I didn't say cost, but VALUE. Pick a number.