1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you accelerate?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by iaowings, Apr 1, 2007.

?
  1. accelerate on electric only and then quickly get up to speed when the ice kicks in even if people ar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. accelerate on electric only and then quickly get up to speed when the ice kicks unless people are be

100.0%
  3. Accelerate slowly all the time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Accelerate slowly all the time. But only if no one is behind me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I floor it all the time unless some slow person is in front of me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I just drive normally like everyone around me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Accelerate on electric and then floor it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I drive to erratically to be predictable for what ever reason.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. i have bad traffic all the time so I just go with the flow.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. i have bad traffic all the time but I am always in the way not going with the flow.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Myself i run on electric only until the ice kicks in then I quickly get to speed unless someone is behind me.

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Oh this was prompted because today I was driving to a friend’s house and some guy in another prius was accelerating like holly _____ slow all the time. His 0- 30 times was slow as heck. Unless he had an ev mod his mpg had to suffering or he was really good at keeping the ice from turning on, but this guy had no regard for the people around him at all because he would pulse and glide even though the traffic was somewhat heavy.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish there was a 'moderate' option there. I never accelerate aggressively, but I don't think it's slow either....if there's a car in the lane next to me I tend to be as fast or faster for the 0-30mph distance...but then I tend to be slower than the rest of traffic. I maintain 1750-1900rpm and that's how fast I end up going.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like my jack-rabbit starts from traffic lights. It's bad for the FE, but my economy has really gone down the tubes since my commute is only 5 min now. I drive normally in traffic, but I'm a wildman on the country roads.

5. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Well, I don't think I floor it, per se, but it's probably a little bit faster than normal. Then again, people around Atlanta drive like crazy, so it's almost normal.

I don't have a Tachometer, or a ScanGuage, else I'd do what efusco does.

My acceleration also depends on what is about to happen. I mean, if I'm going downhill and there is a light at the bottom I'm just gonna use EV as much as possible. Most of the time I basically floor it to 30MPH or so and then just accelerate normally from there.

It really sucks around here because most of the time you are accelerating uphill, and that's a major MPG killer. If I'm careful, and lucky enough, I can hit green lights most of the time.

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I did put the option that I drive normally like those around me.

That is my fault though I think I could have been a little clearer.

I was more interested in accelerating style of people here because I know that the actual driving techniques and speeds gets a little crazy as there are so many options and styles. Myself I just go the speed limit once I am at speed.

I know some people P&G but only if no one is around and then others don’t care. I know some prius drivers think that being in the carpool or slow lane means they can drive at 30mph or even worse P&G between 30- 40 on the freeway. On the other extreme some will drive at 90mph weaving in and out of traffic. And then there is those in-between.

I have seen it all from hybrid drivers and regular car drivers too. Like I said I am more curios about accelerating habits of people here.

Again sorry for the confusion there.

7. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 1 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]416142[/snapback]</div>
    I would have to agree with you...I am a moderate driver, only aggressive accelerating I have done, was a trip to the hospital (my daughter fell 15' of a deck) and a couple of times around semi's. Most of the time I am a little slower than the freeway traffic (just under the speed limit) and right at about the speed limit in town (whatever will help my FE).

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    moderately. No arrows to/from the battery and instant FE below 16L/100km

9. justifyd

justifyd New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Apr 1 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]416148[/snapback]</div>
    So true! As the saying goes, anyone doing less than 55 anywhere in Atlanta is either from out of town or they're having car trouble. (Not quite 100% true, more like 98%. There are a few others like me.) I would add another tip: look both ways when crossing a one-way street -- and I'm very serious about that.

I've always been a conservative driver, so I prefer to accelerate gently and hold the speed limit when I can -- that is, on those (rare) occasions when I don't have someone eating my bumper and/or trying to run me off the road. (You get used to them after a while.) In traffic, I go with moderate to aggressive acceleration and 5-10 over, depending on the situation at hand, just to be considerate of the others around me.

The one place I absolutely will not speed is in school zones. You would not believe the grief I get from other drivers for that, too; most people around here do 40-50 even when kids are around, and those drivers are NOT happy about someone doing the posted 25.

- Justifyd