1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you clean the MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yardman 49, Apr 26, 2009.

1. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello all:

There is another thread here about "clay" damaging an MFD.

That got me to thinking: how do PC members clean their MFDs? The manual says to not use any chemical cleaners. But just using a soft cloth or a cloth moistened with water may not remove all of the finger prints. And just what consitutes a chemical? Water is a chemical.

I have a 2009 with the digital MFD. I've been cleaning it with a product called "Perfect Glass". Is is a streak free cleaner that I use on LCD screens, windows, etc. For the MFD I spray some Perfect Glass on a soft paper towel (or soft cloth), and then gently wipe the MFD with it. This seems to do a very good job of removing dust and fingerprints.

Any thought if this could cause damage? How about the touch screen functionality? If this is just a pressure sensor layer underneath the screen, I don't think it would be an issue. But I'm not really certain what kind of touch technology the MFD employs.

Thanks in advance for your advice and experiences.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't use clay to clean it. :madgrin:

Seriously, I just use a microfiber cloth that is made for cleaning computer displays. Just dampen the cloth a little if necessary.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just use a microfiber, does the job fine for me. I guess once or twice I may have used one that had a little window cleaner on it, but not windex with ammonia, just a quality automotive window cleaner. Still looks the same as new.

4. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also put a screen protector on it, to protect from those scratches over time.

5. anthofang

anthofang New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    lol!

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a tissue with a tiny bit of armorall on it, clean with the damp side then dry and buff with the dry parts of the tissue. I am very gentle and of course the car is powered down.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Microfiber cloth. Period.

8. ArcticPrius

ArcticPrius Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use the cloth that comes with every Apple product i.e. iPod/iPhone.
    I just keep an extra one in the upper glove compartment and clean it while the car is off once in awhile.

9. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Inventor:

Where did you get a large enough protector? I was thinking of finding something made by "Fellowes", which is a protective film made for PDA devices. I still use them on my Blackberry screen. They work great, and keep the screen from looking "smeared" from your ear touching it when talking.

Also, do you find that the protector helps to hide fingerprints when the sun shines on the display?

Does anyone know how the MFD's touch screen works? Is it pressure, or a capacitive type device? If pressure, then sticking a film on it should not effect the operation. Since inventor00 is using a protective film, then that would seem to indicate that it is pressure sensitive.

Thanks

10. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks, Pat. I would assume then that using a small amount of a suitable cleaner or protectant will not cause damage to the functionality of the MFD (as long as someone doesn't spray the stuff directly on the screen and have it leak down underneath it).

11. Tchou

Tchou Member

microfiber cloth with eventually LCD cleaning product for laptops...

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like I said, light spray of amourall on the tissue then buff right off and never had an issue caused by moisture although I did have the 2004-2005 MFD failure which is not moisture related and cost me $25 to fix.
    Mr Sheen would work well to I think.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BTW, the screen will respond if you touch it with your fingernail instead of your fingertip. So if you are careful there's no need to leave any fingerprints, which results in less of a cleaning task.

14. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A microfiber cloth seems to work quite well. At times I've dampened the cloth with the lens cleaner I have for my eye glasses. I treat it the same way as the screen on my notebook computer, and all seems well.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving gloves help a lot also, if you're the only one who uses the MFD.

97% isopropanol (available in larger pharmacies) is a safe cleaner. Ordinary rubbing alcohol usually contains skin softeners, perfumes and other gunk.

16. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    another mac lover?

17. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the screen protector from Nushield, very happy with it. Here is the link:

NuShield screen protectors provide long-lasting protection for your Toyota display

If you go back to the home page, they make protectors for games, boats etc.

For the screen, do NOT use Windex! Use the same stuff as for a computer monitor, or an LCD TV. I buy the cleaner at Staples, I am sure other places carry it. But the protector is THE best!