1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you prepare for a long trip?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by koukilights, Mar 26, 2018.

1. koukilights

koukilights Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that our 2nd gens are getting older, what do you do to prep for a road trip? Other than checking all the fluids and perhaps changing fluids here or there, do you do anything else?

I can think of checking the tire pressures and spare tire, checking the fluids, and fixing any issues you notice while daily driving it. But other than that is there anything else?

Is there any way to know when your HV battery is going to die? It would suck to be 1000 miles from home and your HV battery totally cuts out and you can't even start your prius.

2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not a worrier. But if I was, Avis is $30/day.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? there's not much you can do with an old car except to maintain it properly and keep your fingers crossed. and make sure your cell phone is charged.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is your hybrid battery the original 13 year old battery?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd tend to avoid non-pressing maintenance immediately before the trip, especially if it's through a garage you're not that familiar with: the last thing you want is to find someone's screwed up, after you leave. Yeah check the oil, washer fluid, coolant levels.

I throw my trusty-rusty bicycle pump in the back of the hatch, which coupled with the temp spare (check it's pressure) and a plug-repair kit, you're pretty much ready for a flat scenario.

Also have a full-sized jump pack, smart charger, extension cord, some bits of wire and a few tools, gloves, reflective vest, reflective cone, flashlight, in the under-floor tray.

Oh, and toilet paper...

aembleton likes this.
  6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good stuff.

For our cross country trips each year I pack along a reflective vest and collapsible reflective cone too. I take a 12v air compressor instead of a hand pump and also carry a quart of oil plus a gallon of water. In case of a problem in cooler weather or at night a couple of those light flannel indoor sleeping bags that can zip together fit perfectly under the rear floorboard as well. They double as blankets as needed.

koukilights - As far as the batteries go, there are a few things you can do to minimize battery failure.

First, make sure your 12v is less than 5 or 6 years old. I replaced mine right before our 5,000 mile trip last summer.

Second, watch your SOC screen for a few months before you go. If the batteries aren't showing any signs of weakness (constantly low or rapidly fluctuating) you should be okay. Mine was showing signs last spring so I elected to invest in a Prolong deluxe conditioning system and condition the batteries before the long trip. It worked like a charm. Actually, if you are still on the original hybrid battery pack a good battery conditioning should be done anyway. Jeff at Hybrid Automotive can help you find a qualified hybrid mechanic who will do it if you don't want to invest in a system for yourself. Or, if you can hook up with another member here who has the system, you might be able to buy just the harness and use theirs. People are incredibly helpful around Priuschat.

Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. – Hybrid Automotive

WilDavis and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. aembleton

aembleton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I just put some petrol in and go. It's so reliable that I'm never worried.

audiodave likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't have a flexible bladder in your fuel tank like they do in the North American model. It adds so much fun to knowing how much is in the tank.

srellim234 likes this.