1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you prepare your Thanksgiving Turkey?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Nov 19, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last year, for the first time, I brined my turkey the night before Thanksgiving...and will do so from now on. I also cooked it on my Big Green Egg for the first time...but definately not the last!!! I gave it a very light smoke, had it on a poultry rest [​IMG] filled with apple juice, and cooked it for around 2 1/2 hours, took it off right at 160F then let it rest for a bit before serving....the juices were running off the cutting board, onto the counter and onto the floor as I carved it. I did a little butter basting of the skin during cooking process just to crisp and brown the skin nicely.
    It was, IMO, the best turkey I'd ever eaten and that feeling was unanimously shared amonst our guests.

I'm using a commercial brine this year and will do as above but will stuff the turkey with fresh thyme and rosemary, apples, and an onion for a little extra aroma. Other than that little else will change. I'm using a 14lb hen (fresh), but would have prefered something closer to 16lbs in a young turkey, but my selection was limited.

Anyone do the fried turkey thing? Any other culinary secrets out there?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My mother is brining the turkey this year but my brother in law is picking it up Wed night to take home to cook.

We'll see if anyone invites me to dinner. So far I've only "heard" of this event because my parents' were invited. But they aren't sure on the time.

Does anyone else think it's rude for my sister to only pass on invites through my parents? For her birthday her husband didn't even bother to tell my mother the correct day and time. My sister told me something different and we all ended up missing the entire party. I told her then she either gives me a personal invite through e-mail or phone 24-48 hours prior to the event or don't expect me to show up.

My mother does the stuffing. She puts plain stuffing in the neck for me and adds the guts to the rest and stuffs that up the butt for everyone else. She makes her own stale bread, cubes it, adds spices and whatnot.

BTW my Dad likes to put bacon on the bird to keep it moist. When *I* made the bird I used cheesecloth and basted it with butter rather than bacon. The gravy came out so much better that year. I hate turkey gravy that just tastes like bacon and nothing else. The bird was just as moist and he didn't even notice I didn't use bacon...except that there was no bacon to snack on while waiting for the turkey.

I'd really love to try your Big Green Egg method but unfortunately cannot afford a Big Green Egg. Maybe someday. I've got a nice poultry stand but I don't know if it's big enough for a turkey.

This year my mother made home made cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries using my Aunt Anne's recipe.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The egg is pricy for initial cost, but it'll last you many times longer than any other grill you've ever had (being ceramic it won't corrode), and the food so much better and it's so versatile...I can cook steaks at 700F+, I can smoke at 120F, or any temp in between and it'll hold the temp way better than any oven.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm afraid of the weight. I'd obviously have to have something with wheels to hold it; either the metal stand (that could corrode) or the table (that could rot). The thing would have to be outside all of the time (no place to store it) so I'd have to cover it up. But I have brick all over so there is the chance it catches on something when it's being rolled. And might tip over and break. I don't want to chance breaking something that cost me close to $1,000. And no way I can lift even the mini-egg. I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than 20 lb with my bad back.

But I do love the concept of the egg. I've switched from briquest to wood charcoal and will never go back. I've got a cheap grill now. But someday I'd love to have an Egg and do some really fancy grilling. And maybe try my hand at a real BBQ.

I think either the medium or the large would be OK for me.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we have a smoker- free from toyota! but i believe it's buried in the dark recesses of our storage unit :blink: we would like to try that out one year though.

we usually cook our turkey in the oven, in an oven bag and it stays nice and tender and juicy. i think we'll have to try replacing the water with apple juice... that sounds good.

i can't wait for thanksgiving!!

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ 2007 11 19 21:32) [snapback]541830[/snapback]</div>
    Don't tell me the Lexus needs new piston rings already! :rolleyes:

We 'cheat' and buy a frozen pre-stuffed boneless bird in a box. Sooo much easier, and very tasty. It goes in the oven along with a big butternut squash, and there's usually a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. 'Course, being Canadian, we had Thanksgiving about a month ago, but Christmas is coming soon enough. Mmmm turkey. Gobble gobble. :D

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 20 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]541838[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: no no no. engine, eventually. we've mentioned those camry v6s... nah, this was a reward for completing a bunch of training classes.

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 19 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]541805[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds awesome.I have the original Japanese Komodo grill but Ive never used it for a turkey.I might have to give it a try this year as we were thinking of doing a second turkey anyway and theres not enough room in the oven.
    Ive always had good results with brining .

9. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dr. F, how about I bring the wine? :)

Your recipe sounds similar to mine. I use brine, baste and gravy recipes from Steve Raichlen, being careful to use distilled water and fresh ingredients where possible:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/featured/bbqu...hankskgivin.php

I BBQ in a Weber Ranch Kettle using mesquite wood. I have to watch the temp closely, the wood runs hot but gives a complimentary aroma without being overpowering.

My neighbor down the road has a hobby farm with all manner of critters from llamas to pygmy goats to exotic fowl to, well, I'm not sure what everything is but I'm glad to be upwind. Anyway, he's raising "my" turkey and will "process" it Wednesday. I've been watching the bird grow with it's mates who will meet the same fate then. They don't look anything like a commercial bird. In fact, they look kind of skinny, but are definitely free range and fed organically grown food. My neighbor thinks mine will come in around 10-12 lbs.

I attend BBQ seminars about every year, and last Summer all of the factory equipment reps were there with their gear in action. That was my first exposure to the Big Green Egg and was thoroughly impressed. I think one might be in the near future.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 20 2007, 01:47 AM) [snapback]541851[/snapback]</div>
    You've met him and you're still going to eat him?

Tell me he doesn't have a name. If he has a name, it's like eating a family pet.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 19 2007, 11:22 PM) [snapback]541825[/snapback]</div>
    I just leave mine outside all the time...most people I know do. I do have casters on both the wood carts, but never move them. They make decent covers. The metal daisy wheel that goes on top of the egg is removable and you can put the ceramic top on and store that metal part out of the way. The long wooden cart is definately the way to go...you can weather seal it, keep it covered, and it's a great work space/storage space for all your Eggcessories.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mojo,
    If you're into grilling that much you NEED the BGE...seriously...it's just a fabulous tool. It's gotten that I'm very used to people saying "These are the best ribs I've ever eaten" "This is the best pulled pork I've ever eaten" "This steak is better than Ruth's Chris"
    It lights quickly and easily. A bag of lump will last you weeks to months depending upon how often you use it. I've literally left a brisket on the egg for 20 hours and did not have to adjust the vents a single time and the temp held within 5 degrees of where I set it. The amount of control and ease of control is truely amazing...like I said above, far better than any modern oven I've ever used.
    Unless you cook for groups of people larger than 15 people on a frequent basis there isn't much reason to consider the XL size, the L size is adequate for 4-6 full racks of ribs, a 20lb turkey, and tons of pork "butt" and will be more efficient with the lump. I wouldn't get smaller, personally, b/c it's hard to use something like the plate setter and still have enough 'head-room' for a larger piece of meat.

Next question....any of you guys do a Turducken?
    [​IMG]
    Back in my New Orleans days we did that several times... a boned turkey, layer of stuffing (multiple flavors to choose from...oyster was nice, then a boned duck stuffed in that, more stuffing, then a chicken stuffed inside that, and then more stuffing inside the chicken. cook it up and slice and eat the whole thing. Not as pricy as you might think (? around $50) and very no-fuss since someone else did all the boning and stuffing. I wouldn't do it every year, but it's a nice change of pace.

13. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My father has a fryer. He's smart enough to know how to actually use it without setting the house/yard/neighbor's house on fire. The result was good.

A couple years ago, my father got a smoker. We've used that since. (It's much easier, and you don't have to store/dispose of the oil after frying). The results are also good. The leftovers are a little dry, but a little chicken broth and a microwave take care of that.

Next year, since we'll be a family of three, we might stay home and get some turkey breast fillets. But that's planning way too far in the future.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 19 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]541805[/snapback]</div>
    My Culinary Secret is to let my Aunt's do the cooking while I sit on the couch and have a beer. Having recently sold the condo and moved into a nice home, it's easier for them to do the cooking process. BTW our Thanksgiving was last month.

Personally, I'd just slap a couple of steaks on the grill, but what do I know

However you do have me seriously thinking of that BGE thing. Just leave it out on the deck all year round. I assume it isn't bothered by -40 winters and snow?

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Nov 20 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]541949[/snapback]</div>
    It shouldn't be bothered...it's made of space-age ceramic. They're darn nice...I'm sure your aunts would appreciate you getting it for them to cook your Thanksgiving meal on! :lol:

16. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 19 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]541865[/snapback]</div>
    No worries, I named him "Clint", short for you-know-who, soon after he was hatched. This will be fun!

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I fry mine in peanut oil......

If you really want to impress your relatives, you can get creative with the Aluminum Foil, and have a bird like this!

[attachmentid=12542]

I just use one of these, its simply the best. no more dry breasts, they are nice and juicy and cook for 50min.[​IMG]
    http://www.turkey-fryers-online.com/

Attached Files:

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 20 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]541918[/snapback]</div>
    They've got plans for building your own table. Ever considered that? I like the larger table but would like my Egg in the middle rather than all at one end. I like to use both sides.But would the weight compromise the table with the Egg in the middle? Maybe a short table would allow the Egg in the middle. Or maybe a fold out extension on the end where the Egg sits?

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 20 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]542009[/snapback]</div>
    I have considered it...but I don't have the tools, time or skill to build a decent one. One of the guys I convinced to buy an Egg did build his own (before he even got the Egg) from his own plans and it is quite nice.
    [​IMG]

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhhh...just out of curiousity...what do some of you vegetarians eat for Thanksgiving? :)